Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Pregnancy dreams...yet again

I had a dream last night that I was 3 months pregnant, and had a pretty big bump. I was extremely disappointed because I couldn't feel the baby. I just felt fat. My baby bump wasn't firm either it was saggy so I could like lift it up and move it around. It was upsetting because of all the things I look forward to, feeling another life growing inside me is number 1.

Side note:
My quick research tells me that most women don't start to feel the baby move until 4 months at the earliest (16 weeks). So I guess my dream had some truth to it. I read Kay's old blog entries of her first pregnancy experience and even though she didn't feel the baby move she was still thinking about the baby. She started to notice a small bump at roughly 10 or 12 weeks (but most people wouldn't be able to tell with her fully dressed).

Back to the dream:
My dream fast forwarded to later in the pregnancy (though my belly did not change it was still floppy). And I was having super mild contractions, nothing worse than a mild cramp, and I freaked out. Turned to Jamaal and said "I want the drugs." My doctor (or midwife) asked what I wanted, an epidural or IV meds. I really didn't want an epidural (because there is a risk of permanent damage) and I was concerned about becoming paraplegic. But I was also concerned about the baby and asked which would make him the least stoned. And yes I said him. And the baby was due in November/December.
-----------------------------------------
I woke up thinking about my dream and the fact that it was something that could happen. (Well I'm going to assume that my baby bump does not flap in the wind...) But well, Jamaal and I haven't exactly been too careful yet. Sometimes he will reach for a condom, but sometimes not. I don't like the smell of them at all, so I can't stand to touch them. And I don't really have that will power to say no. Plus, I haven't ovulated yet. I'm on day 26 of my first independent cycle, and my ovulation test strips have been negative thus far. (And I've had pretty much no cervical mucous all month. Which is weird because I had some while on the pill, and now nothing...) For those of you who are curious, I'm not using the basal body temperature method since I'm working night shift and my sleep cycles are so irregular. (And for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about these are the methods that help to determine when a woman ovulates, or are fertile, and are the basis for methods associated with natural family planning. I am using the methods to determine my ovulation, but will rely on condoms to prevent pregnancy, and to help me to focus on my bodies signs of fertility. Cervical mucous is difficult to see, for women new to looking at it, if there is also semen in the mix.)

So what I'm getting at is it is highly unlikely that I will conceive at this time, but as I recently read in How to Choose the Sex of your Baby, some women have a very short LH surge, and most women's LH surge happens later in the day (and I was previously testing in the morning when I first woke up, or right after work). So it is possible that I missed my LH surge this month. Though I doubt it.

I would prefer not to conceive before April 23rd. (my due date would be January 14th 2011). As, like I've said before, I don't want Thanksgiving or Christmas overshadowing the babe's day of birth. But of course I'll take anything I get. ;)

I should also mention that Jamaal was very supportive of me, and when I asked for the drugs, he was right there agreeing with me. (I think that was more for his benefit, and he didn't want to deal with me in a ton of pain.) But I remember thinking that he was being very sweet, and very proud to be having a baby with me. Which, of all the important things, shares the number 1 spot with being able to feel a life growing inside me. :D

5 comments:

  1. You could test twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. Cervical mucus is quite obvious, if you know what to look for...have you found pictures anywhere so you can get an idea? It's true it's hard to see mixed with semen, but that's why you should have sex every other night ;) (that is if you really want to find out when you're ovulating)

    Sorry to anyone reading this who is grossed out! But you shouldn't be...especially if you're a woman, because it's all natural baby!!! (And good!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Kay, I could test twice a day, but right now I'm not trying to get preggo, so I don't necessarily need to. Since the tests are an expense, and I'm pretty sure this cycle (and most likely the next) I'm not ovulating, since most women do not right after stopping the pill, I'm just going to test once a day. Once I'm clear on my signs of ovulation, and I'm actually trying to conceive, I will test twice a day once around noon and once in the evening/night around 10pm. I love that you are appologizing for the "gross-ness" of your post when this is my blog! AND I started it. Haha.

    If you must know we've been using a condom every other night pretty much which is basically the same as having unprotected sex every other night. ;) And I meant to buy some flavored condoms to see if they don't smell as "latex-y" ugh I cannot stand touching latex condoms!! They make your hands smell of it, and I can't focus on the deed at hand with that stench on my hands! Anyone know if flavored condoms are less smelly?? Does anyone even have the same problem as me??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes sense. I can see how you wouldn't want to waste them at this time. Do you feel any different being off the pill?

    I have no (read; zero) experience with condoms, so I can't say that' I've had the same problem. I've never even held one, wrapped, before.

    Anyway, I wonder when you'll ovulate!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also anxious to see when I'll ovulate. I've been on the pill for over 4 years, so I'm pretty sure my body has no idea what it is doing. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me tell you this, everyone always says it only takes ONE time to get pregnant..and it CAN happen that way! LOL. Sean and I were not planning on getting pregnant until around October/November so we could have Summer time baby. When I got back from Alaska in August, it took only ONE time of not using a condom, and I got pregnant. I couldnt believe it because I was for sure I hadnt ovulated yet, and all the calendars were saying I would have conceived on a different day than I knew I did, since we only had one time without protection, so sometimes all these charts and stuff dont quite work for all of us. :) Im so excited for you and Jamaal though, and when the time comes. AND Im looking forward to hearing about your pregnancy dreams, cause they get WEIRD! :P

    ReplyDelete