Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

It's Saturday?

I cannot believe it is the "weekend." And that is simply because I begin a 4-day work week tonight. Thankfully my first shift on is an 8-hour shift, so I get some time to relax with the hubby when he gets off work this afternoon. Poor guy works Monday thru Saturday (with one random day, lately it has been Wednesday, off). It sucks that he doesn't get two consecutive days off. I complain if I only get 2 nights off of work at a time...

To prepare for another night of work, I slept in. But I didn't really mean to. I meant to sleep until 11 or 12, but it was 1430 when I woke up...I got over 12 hours of sleep in. Perfect.

I had a dream last night that I cooked dinner, but forgot to make the fish, which was the main part of the dinner. How silly. Tonight I'm making baked catfish, brown rice and steamed broccoli. I'm hoping that we like catfish. Because I'm not a huge fish fan....we'll see.

Last night we had Sesame-Yogurt Baked Chicken Thighs (the recipe was for a quartered chicken, but we don't need that much chicken so I did 4 thighs instead), and it was okay. I think it would have been better using skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Jamaal doesn't like having to deal with bones. I don't particularly care for it either, and really don't care for skin. So I suggest trying this recipe using chicken breasts or chicken breast tenders.

Sesame-Yogurt Baked Chicken
From: My Great Recipes (one of the free recipe cards that came in the mail to my parents many many years ago, that I've collected and finally used.)
Ingredients:
-1 frying chicken, 3 to 3.5 lbs., cut into quarters
-1 egg
-1/2 cup plain yogurt
-1 Tbsp. soy sauce
-1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 tsp. each baking powder, salt, and paprika
-3 Tbsp. sesame seeds
-1/4 cup butter or margarine

1.  Beat egg and combine well with yogurt, soy sauce and garlic. Dip chicken pieces in mixture until evenly coated. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, paprika and sesame seeds. Then coat chicken quarters evenly with flour mixture. (I personally found there to be plenty of wet coating, but barely enough dry coating. If I were to make this again, I would make a double batch of the dry coating using only 4-5 Tbsp of the sesame seeds.)

2.  Place butter in a baking dish, 2 inches deep, and just large enough to hold all the chicken in a single layer. Place baking dish in a preheated oven until butter melts. (If I were to make this with chicken tenders, I would use a deep cookie sheet, and I would melt the butter in a microwave. I would spread the chicken tenders out on the cookie sheet, then drizzle lightly with butter.)

3. Place the chicken pieces, skin sides down, in butter, then turn skin sides up.

4. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees until chicken is tender and well browned, about 45 minutes. (and of course if you use chicken tenders, they probably don't need to be cooked for 45 minutes, I would try 10 minutes, then turn them over for another 10 minutes.)

P.S. Why is it so hard to spell sesame right?? I always want to spell it seasame...

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try it : ) I love a good chicken recipe! For some reason it wont let me on your other "On the Menu" blog. What's wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I merged it with this blog. I was feeling overwhelmed, and wanted to be able to post like I did today with life story then recipe, instead of posting them separately. Get with the times my friend...I posted about that like a month ago...

    ReplyDelete