Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Call me crazy...

but don't call me late for dinner.

The other day I decided to buy cayenne pepper. The reason I did so, was I read about this recipe on this blog, and thought I needed a spicy spice for my spice collection.

In college I created this masterpiece: rice and bean burritos. I added chili powder to it the first time I made it, trying to make it spicy, when really it added no true flavor to it. I was disappointed to say the least, and instead added taco seasoning the next time I made it to make it a little more flavorful and spicy.

I've been plagued by that experience ever since. I wanted a spicy spice that I could add to things like chili or rice and beans to give the food a little kick.

I have found what I've been looking for in cayenne pepper. It certainly is spicy, but I love the flavor it adds. I realize that I might be alone in this feeling, not everyone craves a spicy spice, but I thought I might share a few of my discoveries. I've since been adding it to everything...mostly when I cook for myself.

Spicy Fried Rice
Ingredients:
-cooked brown or white rice (I often use leftovers to make fried rice the next day)
-1 Tbsp oil (olive or sesame or a little of each)
-2-3 Tbsp soy sauce
-1-3 eggs (depending on how much rice you are using; I use 3 eggs for 4 cups of rice)
-cayenne pepper to taste
-freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. Heat the oil in a large pan/skillet over med/high heat.
2. Add the rice and stir until warmed. Drizzle rice with soy sauce. Stir to coat rice evenly.
3. Let the rice continue to cook by pressing the rice gently into the pan and leaving it for a couple minutes. Using a spatula cut the rice "pancake" into quarters and try to turn the rice to fry the other side. (I'm not very good at this, but it doesn't really matter.)
4. After the other side of the rice has been fried a little, push the rice over to clear about a third of the pan to cook the eggs on. Scramble the eggs until dry.
5. Stir rice and eggs together. Sprinkle a little cayenne pepper and fresh ground pepper. Stir again, and serve warm. (If you want it spicy, and others do not, sprinkle your serving with cayenne instead.) :D
________________________

And my personal favorite,

Spicy Stove top Popcorn
Ingredients
-1 Tbsp olive oil
-1/4 c. popcorn kernels
-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
-1/4 tsp popcorn salt

1. Heat the oil in a 2 quart saucepan over med/high heat (make sure it has a lid). Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and popcorn salt. Swirl the oil in the saucepan to combine.
2. Add the popcorn kernels and put on the lid. Stir the popcorn kernels with the oil by lifting the pot and shaking, gently, forward and back (not up and down). Set the pan back on the burner, and periodically shake the kernels. Once the kernels are really starting to pop, shake the pot continuously until the popping slows. I sometimes set it back down to heat the pot back up, but you must be careful to prevent burning.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to make it! I love spicy food : ) Here is a great recipe for sweet, sticky, spicy chicken. Its one of our favorites. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-Sticky-and-Spicy-Chicken/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete