Pages

Friday, August 1, 2008

Work gripes

Well I have to huff and puff now...

Our contract at work is being renewed, and apparently the administration is trying to screw us over. This is the first time I've run into this conflict before. All my other jobs were minimum wage, and part time, so I'm not sure what to think. But I keep hearing at work and through emails that we probably won't be getting a raise, and they are trying to take away our sick time. They want us to work harder, rest less, and not get sick.

I'm upset the most because administration took an 18% raise, and won't give us an 8% raise. Apparently, when compared to the rest of the hospitals in the area, we are already getting paid less.

So now I'm thinking, why should I stay? If other hospitals VALUE their nurses and understand the amount of hard work we put in, AND are willing to pay them for it, I'm thinking that maybe I should leave.

Nurses work hard! Doctors spend 15 minutes (at most) with a patient, and we spend our entire day with them. We do the tasks that the doctors want done. Doctors are paid double+ than nurses, and that does not seem fair to me.

I'm sure everyone feels this way sometimes. Especially you teachers out there....

But I'm upset that the administration isn't willing to take care of the nurses. I'll let you know how it pans out. There is still quite a bit of discussion that will happen before the final contract is laid out. Hopefully the union will do it's job.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, you deserve a raise! I often think about how it's not fair how people higher up (doctors in your case, administrators in mine) get paid SO much more money and they essentially don't have to do the difficult work. Maybe it took them more schooling to get to where they are and get their expertise, but we work hard. :)

    ReplyDelete