Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Who's in charge here anyway?


We all know the answer to that question. Mr. Riley is in charge. I still have control over the husband, house and dogs, but still sometimes lose control of those three as well. Mr. Riley keeps up appearances and makes me think I'm in charge: I'm bigger, I speak English fluently, I am mobile, and I contain and provide his precious food source. But don't let that little cute face fool you. He is really the one calling all the shots.

Remember a few nights back when we tried co-sleeping? The little booger slept really well, just couldn't nurse lying down very well, and kept trying to sleep on his stomach which scared me half to death. So we went back to using the bassinet. Riley objects. Every time I set him down there to sleep, he wakes up after 20-30 minutes and starts crying uncontrollably. He will settle once picked up and nurses for a short period before falling asleep again. If I set him back down, the cycle continues. BUT if I set him next to me in bed, he'll sleep for 2-3-4 hours in one stretch. I don't blame him, I am pretty awesome to sleep next to, but goodness!


He won the fight last night. I warned Jamaal: If he doesn't sleep in his bassinet for longer than an hour, I'll bring him into bed with us. That way, he wouldn't be too shocked if he glanced over to find his son snoring soundly between us. I'm not sure how to get him to sleep in his bassinet. The next plan is to try taking out the "newborn napper" and put him in the main part of his Pack n' Play, maybe he is just too cramped in the "newborn napper." (The "newborn napper" is the cream colored bassinet shown in the picture; it comes out, and there is a "bassinet" below it which is just a raised up bottom, so that you don't have to reach all the way to the bottom of the play pen to lay your newborn down. It is only suitable for babies that don't stand yet.)

I have put him down to sleep today in the "newborn napper" and he has lasted as long as 1.5 hours. So it could be that his days and nights are switched, so he sleeps a bit better during the day. Therefore at night he has to be really comfortable in order to sleep for longer periods of time. Mommy and daddy's bed is just about as comfy as you can possibly get.

Jamaal offered to move his swing into the bedroom, since the little guy sleeps well in there. I might end up accepting that offer. Though eventually he will have to be able to sleep in his "bed," now I just have to convince the boss that this is the case. ;)

(The photo of Mr. Riley was taken with my phone, that is why the quality isn't the greatest. But I caught him making a pretty funny face, huh?)

No comments:

Post a Comment