Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Much ado about Nothing

I have about 50 topics that I want to write about and I think about them when I'm not in front of my computer, but once I turn it on and sit down, they all leave my brain. I'm going to need to get a notebook to write my ideas down when I'm thinking about them.
----------------------------
So many things have happened since Riley was born. And yet, nothing much has happened. We do a lot of nothing these days. I'm working on figuring out how to have time to do other things except feed and change my little man.

Sleep. Last night was the first night where Riley went 3 hours in between most of his feeds. That translates to mama getting 8.5 hours of broken up sleep. It was amazing. Every time he woke me up I smiled when I saw how long it had been since we had last fed. I have very little faith that it will happen again tonight, but it was nice to have a break from 1.5 hours in between feeds. (Remember that that means from start of one feeding to the start of the next. Most of the time he takes 30 minutes to eat and burp, but sometimes takes a bit longer or shorter depending on how he is feeling at that moment [or whether his mama fell asleep while nursing or burping him ;)] That leaves only an hour in between where mom is allowed to sleep, and while most of the time she can fall asleep right away, sometimes it could take her as long as 15 minutes to lose consciousness. Therefore, that leaves her with 45 minutes of sleep at a time. Sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more. But ultimately not enough to feel rested.) If there is one thing I know about myself, it is that I do not do well with very little sleep. I'm not the nicest person when sleep deprived, let's just leave it at that.

Nursing. The boy surely loves to eat. And with all that eating comes a lot of pooping and peeing. And sleeping. He is currently trying to wake up from one of his many milk comas. It has been 2 hours, and therefore might be time again to feed. I've been lucky, we haven't had any problem with nursing. He is proof of that fact, at 5 days old (the earliest we could get in to the MD to be seen) he had gained an ounce, and was 6lbs 9 ounces. At 12 days old he weighed 6lbs 14 oz, and today at 22 days old he is 7lbs 12oz. I am so proud of the fact that I am the reason he is growing. Even still, I selfishly want him to stay little-tiny forever. Pretty soon I won't be able to dress him in his newborn clothes, and will have to move into size 1 diapers. Sigh. Back to nursing...While nursing is sometimes stressful, I am thankful that I am capable to provide for my son. It is so much more difficult to go on errands now. Remember he sometimes only goes 1.5 hours in between feedings, which we figured out above leaves mommy 45 minutes of free time, that means pack him up and run for the car. Speed to the desired location and cross your fingers that he might go longer than 1.5 hours. Otherwise, scope out a place to sit down and feed him. I have only nursed him in the doctor's waiting room and the movie theater, thus far. Mostly because I haven't travelled much with him yet. Today we went grocery shopping and he thankfully slept through the entire ordeal. (Which took 2 hours! What was I doing for 2 hours!? I guess Walmart isn't the best place for me to go grocery shopping, because I get lost in the aisles. But I was able to get some more nursing bras and camis at the same time as getting groceries which saved me a stop.)

As I said before, he is now mostly awake at 2.5 hours, so it is time to start the cycle all over again. Maybe I'll come back for more later. ;)

1 comment:

  1. When you do come back I have an idea - post some pictures of the Riley-mister! :) And brush up the old blog layout. That's what I've been doing. You need a new bio especially. Can you nurse using the boppy so you can browse the internet? I used to do that all the time with Lou. There is a fine line between paying no attention to your baby and spending some of that eating time doing stuff online. It's good to find a balance if you can.

    ReplyDelete