Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Again with the sleep

I broke my streak of posting every day. Darn. I pulled up my blog, but set my computer aside to go to sleep. I had intended on blogging once I woke up, but forgot all about it. Oh well, it had to end sometime.

The night before last was one of the hardest I've had since Riley was born. He would not sleep at all. I was exhausted and frustrated and bawling by 0700.

I've been thinking about solutions to this problem, and have decided I might try pumping sometimes and supplementing with that. If he takes bottles okay, this would help me to pass off a feeding or two. I also want to get my hair cut and colored which would be easier to do if I have some pumped milk on hand for someone else to feed him. I read part of the chapter on pumping from The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding last night, and will read the rest today. I want to know what I'm doing before I plan on actually doing it. I don't want my milk to go to waste.

From what I've read so far, if I pump correctly my supply should stay the same or possibly increase, depending on how well he is emptying me on his own already.

Even if he doesn't do well with the bottle now, it will be good for him to be introduced to it since he will eventually have to learn to like it.

Last night I got a little bit more sleep, only because I passed out with him nursing or burping a lot. I kept waking up in really uncomfortable positions, so it wasn't very relaxing sleep. Then I woke up to Jamaal putting Riley back into the swing at just after 0700. It was a very weird feeling, because I hadn't even heard Riley fuss, let alone cry. Apparently he was crying a lot, and loudly because we were in the living room, and Jamaal was in the bedroom, with the door closed. Riley was right next to me and I didn't flinch. Proof that I am extremely sleep deprived. Kind of scary, as well.

Maybe I should start sleeping in the bedroom again, so if he cries and I don't hear him, Jamaal can wake me up. Or better yet, Jamaal can change him and hand him to me. It was a nice break to be able to just feed Riley and not have to get up to clean his butt. Gotta look at the bright side.

I must admit that the night before last, when I was crying right along with Riley, I was resenting my husband sleeping comfortably in the other room. He was probably awake, though, I realize now. Even still, I find myself a bit resentful, but little things like having Jamaal change Riley this morning, make my day just that much easier.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to get much sleep. I hope that you can sleep more soon and that you and Riley can figure each other out. It sounds like maybe pumping could help so you could sleep a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you pumped before to see how much milk you are getting? I know you are having an easy time with the feeding, but just wondering if maybe he is a hungry little boy. Silas was eating 4 oz (at Riley's age now) in one feeding, not to compare the two, since each baby is different, but maybe you could try supplementing with a little formula to see if that satisfies him, then leading to longer naps? I know those sleepless nights are very hard. I had them with Siara when I was breastfeeding, except I was starving her, since I never got any milk. I would feed her for an hour, and when I told my Dr that he said, 'Wow, she shouldn't feed for an hour' so he had me to a pump test and I didnt even get half an oz in a half hour, so I quit. Im a wimp, but I tried for almost 3 weeks, lol. :)
    But remember dont be too hard on yourself, you are doing great Aubri, sleep is much more important, even though I like reading your blogs! keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea, somehow I missed the paragraph about you introducing him to the bottle..maybe im sleep deprived too! ;-) or i had a blond moment..thats likely :D

    ReplyDelete