Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Please do not be offended

This post really might offend some people. I apologize in advance.

Something I've learned about having a newborn is what accessories are necessary and what ones aren't. I had 3 baby showers. One with my family and friends, one with Jamaal's side of family and friends (I thought a lot more of his family and friends would come, so I separated them. If I would have known only 9 people were going to go, I wouldn't have separated them. You live and you learn.) and one at my work. I registered at Target and Baby's R Us. For the most part, though, I received clothes.

Don't get me wrong, clothes are necessary, we sometimes go through 3-4 outfits a day. (on a very bad day). But usually go through 2 outfits. Since the outfits are pretty small I usually do a load of all of his clothes and blankets, etc. 1-2 times a week depending on how big the load is getting. I will throw in my nursing bras and camis with his clothes too. Since I use special soap for his clothes, I don't like to waste it (and it smells like him which makes me smile). We have about 10 outfits that fit him right now. Which is just about perfect. I'm glad most people gave larger sizes of clothes. Newborn size clothes were a necessary item for him, only because I had him early. But most newborns don't fit in newborn size clothes for as long as they have fit him.

Clothes are a necessary item, of course. However, when you receive 2-4 (or more) outfits from each person, you begin to have loads and loads of clothes. I have given clothes only as a gift before Riley, and I now know that I will not be doing this again. Clothes are fun to shop for, so I understand the reason for people to want to give clothing, but most people receive second hand clothing as I did, and don't really need a ton of clothes.

From now on, I will limit myself to one outfit, and something else on the baby's registry. Even if it is something as boring as q-tips or laundry detergent. And maybe I won't even give clothes, if I find something  on the registry that is a little bit more expensive that I know was something I wanted/needed right away. Also, if I can't find anything on the registry within my price range, I will give a gift card along with the one outfit I've allotted myself.

Of course I am thankful for any gift we received. I do not judge or disapprove of anyone who gifted several outfits. I have been guilty of this before. And he will look absolutely adorable in each and every one of them. I also know that people do not have to give anything at all, and I am very fortunate to have received any gifts. But if I were to choose between 2 gifts containing clothes and 1 gift of some other necessary item, I know I would choose the latter.

1 comment:

  1. I understand this. I've been told by other friends that it is nice to receive practical/necessary gifts for the shower, not just clothes. Sometimes it is easier to give clothes though and I know that some people don't like to give a giftcard since it isn't as exciting to open. Although you can buy what you need. So I may consider this option for future showers.

    I've been commenting a lot on your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete