Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Sleep all day

I'm back on night shift....which actually isn't all that bad. The past 3 nights at work were a breeze. I had all my charting done by 0700 with the exception of a few little things I had to do at the last minute. But compared to day shift, most of the time my charting isn't all done at 1500. On nights you get to sit down so much more! I love that. ;)

Our unit is so busy during the day that I move move move, and sometimes feel like I'm going nowhere. The past couple nights I've been sitting, trying to find things to do.

Last night I decided to take a look at my benefit time to gauge how long it would take for me to accrue enough time to take a full 4 months of maternity leave...it wasn't pretty. I would have to wait an entire year to even try to get pregnant and even then I wouldn't have enough vacation time saved up to meet the 512 hours I'd need in order to have the same size paychecks I have now. I would have about 220 hours of vacation by this December. If I decreased my pay to 50% while on leave, I still wouldn't have the 320 hours that would require.

The US has their priorities way wrong. A woman should be able to have PAID time off with their babies. Jamaal and I will be moving to Europe for a year now.

Thankfully we have a tax credit coming. But since I won't be making nearly enough I want to set aside $4000 strictly for our mortgage payment while I'm on leave. $3000 of it will go to my parents as a "gift" since they gave us a "gift" last year, and that leaves $1000 of extra.

We really need furniture, we have 2 love seats...and $1000 won't be enough for couches/chairs/bedroom furniture.

Oh woe is me. I'll be looking for 0% interest financing at discount furniture stores, so we can put a $1000 down payment and put the rest on credit. I figure that should only be at most $3000 of credit, so we could swing a $500 monthly payment for 6 months.

Now to convince Jamaal that it's time...

2 comments:

  1. I will be anxiously waiting for updates on this topic :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's time for what, a baby? Now remember my one rule, you cannot go into labor at the ceremony, so since we're now within 7 months of the wedding I will give you permission to get pregnant as long as you are not early =). Have you watched that documentary "the business of being born"? I watched it the other night and wow it was extremely interesting. After watching it I kinda wanted to have a baby, but my dad already warned me that that was not to happen before the wedding=), so I guess I'll have to wait. But it would be fun to have another friend pregnant, ooohhh all the cute baby clothes I could buy!!!!

    ReplyDelete