Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

Beef Bulgogi

As I've previously written, I'm focusing on cooking meals again. I scoured through my cookbooks to find recipes that sounded like something Jamaal and I would like. Today I used the cookbook show here.

There are definitely some good recipes in this book. However, like most cookbooks I look through, there are definitely some recipes that do not fit our tastes. BUT one thing I do enjoy about this cookbook is that it separates the recipes by time of year. So when I looked through this book this week, I stuck to the fall and winter chapters. Another plus about this book is there is a picture for EVERY recipe. For me that is a huge help in deciding whether I will try a new recipe or not.

Today's dinner is a Korean dish, and according to the book "is usually eaten wrapped in lettuce leaves." I think I would have enjoyed it that way, but I don't know that Jamaal would have gone there. I personally love the lettuce wraps at P.F Changs, but I digress.


Beef Bulgogi
Serves 4
Ingredients:
  • 1.5 lbs rib-eye steak, trimmed of excess fat
  • 1/4 c. soy sauce
  • 1 Tbs hot chili sesame oil (if you can't find this add a dash of red pepper flakes to 1 Tbs toasted sesame oil)
  • 2 Tbs dark brown sugar
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced (I use 3 large cloves)
  • 1 Tbs finely grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 2 medium red onions, halved and cut lengthwise into 1-inch wedges (I used one large red onion)
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
  • 4 tsps vegetable oil, divided
  • 1 small head Boston lettuce, separated into leaves (optional)
1. Freeze the beef for 20 minutes; transfer to a clean work surface. Slice diagonally (across the grain) into 1/8-inch-thick strips. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger. Place the onions and peppers in a small bowl; toss with half the soy marinade. Toss the steak in the remaining marinade; let stand for 15 minutes.

2. Heat 2 tsps of the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. [I don't like dishes, and returned them to the bowl they were originally in] Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.

3. Heat the remaining 2 tsps of vegetable oil over high heat. Cook half the meat, turning often, until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. [Again, I don't like dishes, so I added the cooked meat to the bowl of veggies. The meat is cooked so there is no risk of contamination at this point.] Cook the remaining meat. Return the first batch and any accumulated juices to the pan; add the onion mixture. Cook, tossing, until heated through, about 1 minute. To serve, roll up the beef mixture in lettuce leaves. [Or serve over rice, as we did.]

The reviews:
We both really enjoyed this meal, and would have it again. One negative was that it took me a while to get everything chopped and prepared. However, this might be due to my messy kitchen when I started. I can't think straight when I have a messy environment. I overcooked the onions and peppers so they were more caramelized, because I don't really care for either of them. This way I was able to eat some of them.

The hot chili oil made the dish only slightly warm. It was not "spicy" for us. But I could taste the mild heat. I asked Jamaal if it tasted spicy and he said "no." However, if a young child, or someone sensitive to spice were to try it I'm sure they would think it was so.



I had every intention of finishing this post at work, as I was expecting an easy, laid-back night. However, I was busy from the very start, and barely had time to sit and chart let alone finish a blog. So technically this was last nights meal. On the menu tonight: Pasta and Easy Italian Meat Sauce from the same cookbook. :D I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment