Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Favorite gadget

Thus far this week I've made 3 of the planned meals and all three of them have been good. Jamaal finished his meal all 3 nights. He would eat all three of them again (as would I), but for last nights meal we both agree it was missing a little something.

I'll share yesterday and today's recipes at another time. I'm very exhausted right now, and would rather ramble on about something else. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------

I would like to share one of my favorite kitchen gadgets with you all: The Garlic Grater Plate. It is essential for my kitchen. If I ever drop it, I will immediately need to buy a new one.

If you haven't heard of it before, you can check it out in the video shown below. It is so amazing for garlic, much easier than chopping it, no risk of cutting yourself, and it is much easier for your body to digest.

This week, with Beef Bulgogi, it was the first time I worked with fresh ginger. I used the grater plate, and it worked so perfectly!! It takes very little effort to do, and creates a sort of mush, so it adds very little texture to the dish. Last night, for the pasta sauce, it calls for a grated carrot (my grater must be packed still, because I can't find it anywhere) so I decided to use the grater plate, and again it worked really well. It was perfect, because carrot isn't something I particularly desire in my Italian pasta sauce.

I have yet to use it for dry ingredients like chocolate, but I'm sure it works just as wonderfully. :D

Key points:
-When grating a "moist" ingredient like garlic, ginger, or carrot, first run the plate under cold water, so that the plate is wet. Shake off excess water so that the plate is moist but not dripping wet. 
-When grating a "dry" ingredient like chocolate, or Parmesan cheese the plate must be dry.
-It comes with a brush to move the ingredients to the center for easy removal from the plate, but it is just as easy for me to use my fingers to bring it into the center of the plate.
-After use with garlic, immediately rinse the plate with cold water to prevent it from smelling like garlic later.

I LOVE it. What gadgets can't you live without??

No comments:

Post a Comment