Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Moon

I have been meaning to post this for some time, but keep forgetting to post it.

A little over a week ago, I cared for an Arabic speaking woman who had a joint replacement (I cannot remember now if it was knee or hip). She came all the way from Saudi Arabia just to get both of her joints replaced. This was her second surgery the previous one was a couple months before, and once she had her follow up appointment she was set to go back home.

I actually enjoy caring for patients who speak little to no English, most of the time. I have found that they value my effort as I try to understand them, and make them as comfortable as I can. So they are usually sweet to me.

She was this way. Very funny (her daughter and son speak English well and translated for me) and smart. I was gentle and respectful and really liked to care for her.

I think it was halfway into my first shift with her when she said that I was very beautiful and had a wonderful personality, in Arabic, of course. And I was caught off guard. It was so flattering to me. And of course I thanked her.

She asked me "are you married?" And I stated that I was not. "Do you want to marry an Arab?" And I laughed, and asked "Are you trying to set me up?" And yes, she was. She wanted me to marry her son. I explained that I had a boyfriend for 3 years. This is something that does not happen in her culture; marriages are arranged mostly. But she did not press. She laughed with me. And again I thanked her.

She later said "there's my moon" in Arabic when I walked into her room, and the translator who was there told me that's what she said. And I must have had a confused look on my face, because they went on to explain that in their culture the moon is very beautiful.

It was a wonderful interaction. There is no bigger compliment to me than to be invited into some one's family. Especially when there is a huge cultural divide. I was sad to not be there for her discharge, because I had the next few days off, but said my goodbyes on my last day working with her.

She will always be a patient I'll think of with a smile.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, that's a sweet story. Your blog should be renamed "Aubri the moon" :)

    ReplyDelete