Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

Mac and Cheese

One of my favorites! :)


Mac and Cheese
Ingredients:
-2 c. Large elbow Macaroni
-3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 c. shredded cheese
-3 tablespoons butter or margarine
-1 can evaporated nonfat milk
-1 tsp lemon pepper
-set aside 1/2- 3/4 c. shredded cheese


1. Cook macaroni in boiling water until tender but not too done. Tip #1: I use whatever pasta I have. Sometimes that means I have a few spaghetti noodles in the macaroni. I prefer "Sea shells" myself. This means that you might have to add more/or less pasta depending on how big the pasta is.
2. In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, melt butter, then blend in flour. Add salt.
3. Slowly stir in evaporated milk until mixture is fluid but thick. Tip#2: I add small amounts of the milk and stir slowly, but well. Making sure not to miss an area, so side to side then up and down. If you don't stir you will have lumps, but really this won't make a huge difference. No one will see the lumps.
4. Add pepper and cheese to sauce. Stir until cheese melts. Tip#3: I use whatever cheese I have at the time. But usually this means a few different types. So last time I made it with 1 c. medium cheddar cheese, 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese. It adds a little different flavor if you use several different cheeses.
5. Mix macaroni and sauce together in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Top with cheese that was set aside.
6. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly on top.


::Pictures::



Step 2: Flour, butter and salt mixture. It is very thick.

Before the oven!
Cooked and ready to eat!


Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Chef Nixon.

    Now that I am finally over my morning sickness and can actually read this blog, I would like to see some new menu items! I know you're busy with scrapbooking and dr. appointments, but me and my baby are hungry!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great recipe aubri! Taylor loved it! I thought it tasted even better as a left over & cold! I will definitely be making this more often, especially when we have kids. Thanks for sharing the love

    ReplyDelete