Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lent

I was recently reminded of Lent by a good friend of mine. While I had not forgotten about it, I did not realize that it had started already. Last year was the first year since high school that I did not give something up for Lent.


This is interesting because I am not Catholic, nor do I associate myself with any other religion. The first time I gave up something for Lent, it was because a friend of mine Senior year of high school was doing it. I thought it was interesting, and decided to do it. It turned out that I went to a Jesuit Catholic University so I was around people again that followed Lent, and I liked it from the year before.


Last year I'm not sure why I didn't give something up for Lent. It could have been that I was not reminded of when it began, whatever the reason, I'm ready to resume my tradition.


Lent, for me, is a time to attempt to better and to challenge myself. I admit, I do not follow Lent for the same reasons as a practicing Catholic might. I understand the ritual, and respect the beliefs associated with Lent.


So this year I have decided to give up/limit the following:

1. Swearing: I have noticed that I swear more than I would like to. Jamaal is a bad influence here. I have decided that "heck" is okay. But pretty much everything else is off limits including h-e-double hockey sticks.


2. Soda: I am allowing myself only 1 can per week. I think this one is going to actually be very difficult. Flavored, carbonated waters do not count. And no ordering of soda at restaurants.

Starting tomorrow....

2 comments:

  1. Hey Aubri - I never knew that's why you did the Lent thing. As for me, I never even knew what Lent was until I became Catholic, so I thought you were a little weird :) J/k anyway, just to clarify, you are good to start today because Lent actually does begin today for most Catholics. It started Monday for Byzantine Catholics. Today is Ash Wednesday for Roman Catholics. Best of luck with your fasting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it starts today Kayleen. I thought it was strange that you were starting on a monday so I looked it up on wikipedia and noted that byzantine catholics practice lent a little differently.

    ReplyDelete