Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Good days...

Sometimes it takes a good day of work for me to realize some of the hardest things about my job.

I want people to like me. Be that my patients or their families. I want them all to like me.

It is just not realistic for me to think that everyone I come in contact with will like me.

So, when I have a patient and their family who, for whatever reason, do not appreciate my sense of humor, or the way I dress, or my personality, it is difficult to care for them. It can go the other way too. Where I do not appreciate their sense of humor or personality. Though I try very hard to ignore my initial instinct for the sake of our professional relationship.

A very wise nurse said to me today: "We're all human."

And as humans we're not perfect.

But my days are so much better when I get to laugh with and talk with and generally get along with my patients. Today, a very nice lady said: "I'll miss you!"

I replied: "I'll only be gone for 12 hours."

What a sweet heart! :D

If only every shift was this good.

No comments:

Post a Comment