Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

The dog ate my homework...

and other excuses.

Yesterday was the second 5K in the series. Riley slept through it again, thankfully.(a lady who had a two year old and 9 month old in a jogging stroller was not so lucky. They were screaming the whole way.) We finished in 53:49 this time which is 4:41 faster than last time. That was with several stops to adjust ourselves and Riley. I had forgotten my tracker in the car, so I had to run back to get it, and instead of waiting for me at the start line, like I thought my mom would, she and Riley went ahead. I had to run to catch up (which just confirmed that I am terribly out of shape.) I couldn't run the whole way, and by run, I mean a slow jog, and had to speed walk the rest of the way. By the time I caught up with my mom, I was sweating terribly. This time I had long johns on, sweat pants, a t-shirt, a nursing tank top, a sweat shirt, and my winter jacket on. Plus gloves and ear warmers. My mom had also over dressed. So we paused to take off our winter jackets, and put the rain cover on the stroller (it was barely sprinkling, but we weren't sure if it would do more). Without that pause, I think we would have been 2-3 minutes faster.

Today, I had planned on going into work to say goodbye to one of my coworkers who will be working in one of the clinics. I took my shower early on, and did my hair and makeup while Riley slept. I didn't get dressed until later (because he has a way of spitting up on me right after I get dressed.) I started getting him changed into his outfit way before I wanted to leave, because I know how long it sometimes takes me to get out the door. I had him stripped down and was changing his diaper when he peed. I cleaned him up, and was thankful that I hadn't put on his new outfit yet. As I reached for the new diaper, he peed again. This time, it arced up onto his head. I had already given him his bath before I had taken my shower, but now had to wash his hair (for the second time). I am pretty quick at doing this, and had him in his seat and ready to go in no time. I got dressed quickly, and went to get my keys when I realized I didn't have them. Since I didn't want to bring my purse to the 5K, I stored my car and house keys in my mom's van. At this point I was already late. Jamaal has a spare key, so I called him to check where it was. He thought he had it. Turns out he didn't, and called me back to let me know. I eventually found it on the floor in the garage. I ran around the house once I had the key, and left my house 10 minutes before I was to meet everyone. I was a half an hour late. I felt ridiculous as it seemed everything that could possibly go wrong, had gone wrong. I forgot to mention that right after I got Riley in his outfit, he spit up all over it. (Before I had a chance to put his bib on). Since I was already behind, I just wiped it off and left it. I didn't have time to change it, and figured everyone would understand, if they even noticed. It was nice to see everyone, and made me kind of excited to go back to work (though I'd rather not go back at all). I know I need some time to myself, especially since I'm still getting hardly any sleep, and he seems to cry more often than not. He seems to have separation anxiety, and won't allow me to set him down, unless he, by some miracle, stays asleep when I set him down. I sometimes have no idea what to do, and feel like I am failing him as a mother. I worry about his lack of sleeping, and his colic-y behaviors, and what problems they might cause for him later in life.

Thankfully my husband has stepped in several times when my patience are wearing thin. I'm not sure what I would do without him.

2 comments:

  1. You are not failing him in any way, Aubri! He is lucky to have you as his mother...all babies just want their mothers, even if they are a little frazzled and not 100% sure what to do at every second. I'm sorry he seems to be a fussy baby, but believe me, it will get better and there will come a time when you'll miss how much he needs you right now. You are a GOOD mother. You are just still adjusting and the learning curve is steep! Also, do not worry about how his baby behaviors will affect him later in life. I don't think there is a strong correlation there. Plus it is something that will just unduly stress you out. You do the best you can, love your baby, and he will love you back and grow into a good human being.

    I know what you mean about husbands! Even though the mama takes the heaviest load when it comes to nurturing, I can't imagine how single moms do it without a husband there for help. Even if it's something small here and there - it means everything. Also moral support :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you finally made it, even if you were late. Congrats on finishing another 5k. Pretty impressive that Riley has already "strolled" in two of them. Are you guys doing the St. Patrick's day dash? I thought there was one like that... or are you doing any different ones in the future? I wish I lived closer so I could see you more :(

    ReplyDelete