Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Top Gear

I had a dream last night that a fellow blogger wrote a post that I was planning on posting, so I am taking it as a sign that I need to get around to posting about this.


If you know me well enough, you know that my husband is into cars. He has always been interested in how they work, move and look. In elementary school, he checked out books about cars. His mom quickly found out that he would read if it was a car magazine, so she would buy them for him.


Unfortunately, I do not share the same obsession with cars. But I try to pay attention and over the years have learned a lot about cars from him.


Up until now, however, I haven't really shared in his enjoyment when talking about cars. We finally have something we can enjoy together.


A British show about cars called Top Gear. It combines humor with information about cars that satisfies both of our interests.


It airs on BBC America (channel 162 for us) on Mondays (for new episodes), but it also shows some episodes of past seasons as well. There is a US version that airs on the history channel, but it isn't nearly as good. It is basically a watered down version of the original.


In each 1-hour episode, they review a fancy car, a celebrity races a car around their test track, and they will do a series of challenges. It never fails to make us laugh.


Here is a clip from my favorite episode. The challenge for this episode was to make car into a motor home. You can see all of their finished products in the still below. The white one is a 3-story Japanese inspired motor home. Just know that they had to drive across the country to get to where they are in this video. (As you can imagine that caused a lot of problems for the 3-story car.) My favorite motor home, though, is the one on the right. You can't tell here, but it was modeled after the camper trailers that expand. He had panels that he set up next to the car that made a house, complete with a baby's room and a pool room. You really must watch it to fully understand. ;) The three hosts mess with each other a lot, as evidenced by this video...


1 comment:

  1. Gotta love the Brits for their humor at least...

    We like the show Doc Martin (I think I've mentioned it before)

    Maybe Mike would like this show. Is it on the Netflix?

    ReplyDelete