Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

On Breastfeeding

Just a quick warning, I will be talking about my breasts in this post. If that makes you uncomfortable in any way, please stop reading now.

I have been lucky. Breastfeeding has been natural for Riley and I. That isn't to say we haven't had our challenges.

Several weeks ago now, I was having sharp shooting pains in my right breast. It happened after feeds at first, but eventually it was happening without any association with feedings. Then it got to the point where his latch was so very painful that I dreaded feeding on the right side. I called the lactation hotline the lactation consultant gave me in the hospital. I talked with a lactation consultant on the phone, told her my symptoms, and she came up with a plan. It sounded as though Riley (and I) had thrush, or a yeast infection. But since she didn't know for sure, she told me to buy some over the counter anti-fungal cream, and to use it on my nipples (and also Riley's bottom because he had a little rash) and if it helped at all, that I should call my MD to get a prescription.

It did help, so I called my doctor's office and they gave Riley some oral medication. I started to think about it, and realized that since my breast was sore, that I too, should be treated. I called my doctor, and she said that I shouldn't need it. I saw my midwife shortly after that, and told her about my pain, and she immediately offered me a prescription. I felt bad going behind my doctor's back, but how silly it would be to treat him, when I could give it right back to him after his medication ran out. Plus, I wanted to feel relief!

After a few days of me taking the medication, I felt better.

Something that compounded the problem, I think, was the formation of a bleb, or milk blister on my right nipple. That was part of the pain I was feeling when he nursed. It eventually went away (and has since returned once more, but not nearly as bad as the first time.)

We are now seasoned pros at this whole nursing thing. He is starting to use his hands to pull my nipple toward his mouth. Sometimes if I am taking too long, he will reach and try to pull me closer. I say "try," because he really is not quite strong enough to overpower his mama, but it is neat to see him taking charge. ;)

I have a feeling me returning to work will cause some problems for us, and I've read that sometimes teething causes problems as well. But I'm hopeful that we can keep up with each other and won't have to use formula much. (I am not sure I'll be able to pump enough milk for him when I'm working, especially at first, so I'll have some back up formula available for his baby sitters to use if necessary.) I'm not looking forward to the transition back to work, as I've grown accustomed to spending my time with his cute little self. Though I know it will be nice to have some grown-up mommy time as well. Only 6 more weeks before I have to return, I can't believe it has been 10 weeks already...

Now, I'd like to share a picture of Riley nursing. You can't see much as far as my body goes, but it might make some people uncomfortable to see this photo. If you are in this camp, don't click to see more. Honestly, I think there is nothing more beautiful than a baby nursing. He is starting to make grins up at me while nursing, which just about melts my heart. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment