Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

5k, dinner and the booger

Well I started a post on Monday and now it is Friday and I'm just now getting back to it. Since it took so long, I erased it all and am starting from scratch.

As you might recall, last Sunday was Riley's first 5K. Saturday night was an all time low for me as far as sleep goes. I got a total of 4 hours, and they were split up. It was even more stressful, since I knew I had a deadline as far as getting up and getting ready to go. So of course I lie in bed thinking about how I needed to get to sleep: "If I go to sleep now, I can possibly get 7 hours of sleep." After thinking about it for a while: "Now I can get 6 hours of sleep." And a baby starts to cry.  Now I can get "5 hours of sleep...."

And so on. Thankfully I'm sort of used to being sleep deprived now, and I wasn't too unpleasant to be around after having a short nap before the 5K. It was very chilly out during the walk. Last time I walked a 5K I had long johns on under my jeans and regretted that decision less than half way in. But it was also April, and turned into an uncharacteristically warm sunny day. This time I wished that I had long johns on under my jeans. My butt and thighs were frozen from the start. I did warm up a little, but not enough for my comfort. Next time I'll know better. I'll wear sweats. ;) My mom and I walked it in less than an hour. (58:30 to be exact) We hope to beat that time next month. (Jess, to answer your question, the walk was around Seward Park in Seattle and it is put on by Fitness for Vitality) I was nearly the last one to walk across the line for the 5K, but almost everyone else was running or jogging, or doing a 10K.

I'm proud of my mom for keeping up with Riley and I. I figured I might have to walk it alone, if she couldn't keep pace with me, and had come to terms with the idea of keeping myself entertained (since Riley was sleeping and covered by a blanket to keep him warm). But it was definitely nice to be able to talk throughout the walk.

Afterwards they provided oatmeal and chocolate milk. I only had chocolate milk, because I didn't want to wait for the next batch of oatmeal, (because everyone in our car had gotten there first) and keep everyone waiting for me. It (the chocolate milk) really tasted good because it was ice cold, and I haven't had chocolate milk in ages! We then went to Starbucks for coffee and to relax and chit chat. (We= my sis-in-law, her mom, a friend of her family (and now a friend of mine), my mom and I) Riley slept through it all! We did not get home until 1230 or so. He slept from 0700 until then, when his grandma snatched him up to cuddle!

I was able to nurse him to sleep for a short period so that I could nap before getting ready to go to Black Angus for Jamaal's birthday. (Which, can you believe Riley also slept through?) He started fussing near the end, when I was through eating my meal anyway!

At Black Angus they have a deal where a couple can order two entrees and share an appetizer and dessert for a little less than their regular entrees (that don't come with either dessert nor an appetizer). There was a mix up in the kitchen, and they forgot to bring out our appetizers. So we ended up with our meals first, and then a short time after, our appetizers came. I don't think anyone was too terribly upset by this, but it did feel as though we had been forgotten. The manager apologized, and to make up for their error, payed for dessert for everyone. We thought that was generous (as that came down to 6 free desserts) and happily picked out our desserts. As we were getting ready to leave, he came out again, and asked what we were celebrating. We told him, and he presented Jamaal with a $30 gift card. :D We will be going back, just the 3 of us some time soon, so Riley can hopefully sleep through yet another outing.

That salmon I had is calling my name already. ;)

The rest of the week seems to have flown by already, my little man is already another week older. He is smiling much more readily, though it is hard to make him do it. He will smile, then I will smile and talk to him, and he will sometimes smile some more. Sometimes not. He is clearly focusing more on faces and other objects. He absolutely loves to stare at the ceiling fan light. Jamaal is convinced that it is because it looks like a boob, as there is a darker "nipple" feature in the middle of it. ;) He is really good at holding his head up while vertical, and he does push ups from his stomach to lift his head up as well (but doesn't do this as well as when he is vertical, mostly because he really doesn't enjoy being on his stomach.)

The little booger (as I call him when he gets his way) has been sleeping in our bed all week. Mostly because he will sometimes sleep as long as 5 hours in bed with me, but only 20 minutes to an hour in the bassinet. I am going to take the small bassinet off to see if that will help, though I doubt it will. He's a smart little guy, why sleep in a cold lonely place, with no sustainable food source when you can sleep in a warm bed with two friends, with all the food you could ever want? ;) I realize it might be harder to get him to sleep in his bassinet later on, but he is too young to "train" right now, so I'll give him whatever he wants. ;)

2 comments:

  1. On the note of chocolate milk after a workout - it may be what you had - but Darigold makes a chocolate milk called "Refuel" or something along those lines that is designed for during and post-workout, and has extra protein and goodies in it, and it tastes amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, to be honest I didn't read the label at all. I recognized the label as Darigold Chocolate milk, but didn't pursue it any further than that. Kind of like when little kids who don't know how to read recognize Starbucks or McDonalds by their logos. I think it took me less than 5 minutes to drink it down. So scrumptious! :D

    ReplyDelete