Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Last night I had pie

and my sugars were in control!

Friday night, I fell asleep on the couch, as per my usual routine. I eat dinner, set my alarm on my phone for an hour later, so I can check my sugar, and try to stay awake. I usually play games on my phone while kind of "watching" my husband play video games, until eventually my eyelids are so heavy, I don't even fight them anymore.

When Jamaal is ready for bed, he wakes me up and into bed I go. I try again to stay awake for a minute or two, but usually am out shortly after my head hits the pillow.

Friday night I was so out of it, after getting woken up, I went straight to bed. I didn't take my medicine. (I guess I haven't mentioned that at the appointment where I was sent to the hospital, I was started on Metformin at bedtime, to help keep my waking blood sugars down. It has helped a lot to keep my sugars down through the day as well.)

My Saturday morning sugar was a little on the high side, without being high. I know it is because I missed my bedtime dose. Since I was planning on going to the Sew, quilt and craft show, and I didn't know what sort of foods would be readily available to me, I decided to take my missed dose in the morning. My sugars were perfect all day. I had a Grande, Skinny, Cinnamon Dolce Latte from Starbucks, a mini pot pie from Marie Callendar's, and a slice of Custard Pie for dessert. Those were all of my splurges, but of course I had snacks in between.

At Fred Meyer on Friday, I found these bars:


The wonderful thing about them, is they have very little sugar, and low carbohydrate for a "granola" bar. They have lots of protein as well. Mostly because they are made with nuts, but they also add a soy protein. The South Beach granola bars I've been eating have 17g carb and like 6g protein, where as this particular flavor has 11g carb and 10g protein.

Taste wise, I'd go for the South Beach ones before the KIND bars, but they might grow on me. I've only had one flavor so far, and maybe some are better than others.

They are also sold at Starbucks if you're interested in trying one out. ;)

I'm nervous for Thanksgiving, but am getting more and more confident in my ability to figure out how much to eat at once. I also plan on taking a Metformin in the morning and at night to help keep my sugars down. I think that helped me a lot yesterday. I'll run it past my midwife, but even if they say I don't need to, I think I'll still do it.

Nurses make the worst patients. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were able to have pie and that you are learning how much to eat. I hope that you won't worry about your Thankgiving feast too much. Are you going to your parents' house or celebrating with Jamaal's family?

    ReplyDelete