Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

If it's not one thing...

it's another.

Yesterday was my first fetal NST, and it went well...until the end. They left me on the monitor for a little longer than I needed to be, while I waited for a midwife to come and look at my strip. The strip shows the baby's heart rate and also shows uterine contractions. The baby's heart rate looked great. He's doing exactly what he should be doing. He looks healthy. But as I said, they left me on for a little longer than necessary, and near the end, I was showing little contractions. I didn't notice. It just feels like he's moving around in there to me.

The midwife was uncomfortable with just sending me back home, because I was contracting quite a bit for the last 10 minutes. At least, that is what they tell me. So, she wanted me to go across the street to the ER and get admitted to the antepartum unit for some more monitoring.

After some really slow lady discharged me from the ER to be admitted to the OB floor, I waited in a wheelchair for another pregnant lady who might have had her baby by now, to get checked in. She walked, and I rode. I felt guilty, but she was allowed to have her baby, and it was a long walk.

I was admitted to a really gorgeous, big room. It had a big tub in the middle of the room, and gorgeous views. I'm glad I liked it, because it's kind of late to change my mind now. ;)

My nurse was amazing. She had read my chart thoroughly, and knew a little more than I did about my pregnancy. She read in the note that I had an extra lobe on my placenta, which really doesn't mean anything, except that during the delivery, whoever delivers the placenta needs to look for that extra lobe. I'll try to remember to make sure they look for it. But I might be a bit distracted. ;)

Anyway, she put me on the monitor again, and like before, everything looked really good for the first 10 minutes. She told me, "if things keep looking like this you'll be out of here soon." And then about 5 minutes later she came back in and said, "the problem is that you're too skinny." Never in my life has anyone said that to me. But what she meant was, that my uterus is right at the surface of my belly. All of the fat that I used to have on my stomach moved back to my hips. I started contracting again. She said that it looked like little irritations on the strip. But again, I wasn't feeling them. The only way I felt them was if I pressed on my belly.

The midwife on call basically said that since I wasn't feeling them, they were small, and the treatment for preterm contractions would skyrocket my blood sugars, I could go home, if I rested over the weekend. "Stay off your feet" to be exact. It is really easy for me to be lazy, when I don't have to. But now I really want to do things, like buy fabric for the quilt that seems will never be done, laundry, and clean up the kitchen.

The good news is, that after next week, I'll be 34 weeks, and they don't do anything to stop contractions at 34 weeks. Of course, ideally he won't make his debut until 37 weeks. Oh how great it would be if I could have a slice of pie after Christmas dinner...I'm sure someone I know would like to share a birthday with this little guy...(I'll be 37 weeks on Dec. 10). The 7th is close enough, right Sarah?!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry Aubri =(. Keep those legs crossed, then the baby can't get out, right =). Try and take it easy and keep us updated. Thinking of you!!!

    ReplyDelete