Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I'm dreaming...

Of a white Thanksgiving?

They say it is going to warm up, melt the snow and *gasp* rain. But I'm not holding my breath. ;)

On Monday, I had a dentist appointment at 10, but I made it as far as 320th on military, and realized that while I could probably make it to my appointment, I remembered there was a giant hill that I would have to climb. If military wasn't cleared off at all, I didn't believe the hill would be either. I called and rescheduled, then turned around and went home to warmth. At about 1530, I went and napped, to prepare for my shift later that night. By the time I woke up there was a new blanket of about 3 inches. My mom called me mid-nap to tell me it was crazy outside. I was a little bit shocked, because before I went to sleep it wasn't really all that bad out there. A lot had changed during my 2-hour nap. I was supposed to work from 2300-0730, but I don't think I would've been able to make it to work. The freeway was a sheet of ice with many, many cars, slipping and sliding, and abandoned.

I really didn't want to call out, to waste my benefit time, but I value my cars condition, and my life a little too much to try to drive on ice, in the dark.

My MIL decided to stay the night on Monday (so a coworker who lives nearby could drive her to work the next day), so her and I watched the news, had some tea and waited for her son to come home. I cooked dinner (bratwurst), and right after I decided dinner was ready went to the front door to look and see if my husband was home yet. It was late for him. I hadn't called him, because I didn't want to distract him during his drive in these slippery conditions. As I was looking out the door, the power flickered off, back on, then right back off again. I watched the other houses on the block lose power.

Jamaal finally called shortly after we lost power, and hadn't even left work yet. I got after him for not telling me he was staying late, that I had been worried about him. He was upset that we had no power. I'm thankful that my MIL had decided to stay, because I would have been alone, in the dark, for a couple hours. I'm also thankful that dinner was finished right before the power went out.

I have lots of candles, as my sister in law sells Partylite, so I got out several, and lit them around the living room. It smelt pretty yummy. ;) I got out my knitting and knitted a couple rows by candle light.

Jamaal made it home safe and sound, but said it was really scary out there.

Tuesday afternoon was my next midwife appointment. My dad stayed home from work so that he could drive me to it in his big truck. It was really quite nice of him. The roads were all pretty much dry and bare. There were some bad spots, but for the most part it was an easy drive. It was a nice trip with my father. And the appointment went really fast. The midwife came in early on to talk to me, said everything looked good. And said once I had been on the monitor for 20 minutes, I could go.

Since I had to cook dinner for my MIL and my husband, I felt a little bit of extra pressure, and didn't prepare well before leaving for the appointment. So, my dad took me to the grocery store before taking me home.

My dad is going to pick me up after he gets off work today, and take me to my parent's house so that I can help my mom with making pies. I'm going to try to make one for me with Splenda blends instead of sugar.

My mom wants my dad to take me to work tomorrow morning, because there are some rough spots out there still, that won't be melted until the afternoon. I'll talk to him about it to see what he thinks. BUT if he does take me to work, then I will spend the night at their house to make it easier for him.

Carrying a baby makes people treat you like one. ;) But I don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment