Pages

Monday, November 17, 2008

Veggie Soup

Today was a soup day. It was going to be a bread day as well, but when I was in the store looking at yeast I thought "I have yeast at home" and put it back. But when I got home I could not find the yeast. It is either hiding from me, or I didn't really buy it like I thought. Now I have some bread flour, for that day when I really do buy some yeast....


You will notice that this recipe is VERY flexible...


Aubri's Vegetable Soup
Ingredients:
-32 oz Chicken broth (I use 100% fat free reduce sodium)
-6 oz tomato paste (I don't use the entire can, probably 2/3 it would be okay with the whole can in it though)
-14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (I use it the tomatoes with green chilies to add a little kick, but you don't have to)
-12 oz bag of broccoli and cauliflower florets (you can cut broccoli crowns and cauliflower yourself, I was being lazy.)
-1 clove of garlic minced fine
-1 tsp pepper
-2 tsp oregano
-1/2 head of a small green cabbage
-1 cup quinoa (pronounced kin-wa) cooked (it is a grain similar to rice)
-8 oz can of green beans

1. In a large pot, mix most of the ingredients except the quinoa, cabbage, and green beans (if canned, if the green beans are fresh, add them now.)
2. Cover and cook on medium for 10-15 minutes. Add the cabbage.
3. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. (If broccoli and carrots are soft enough for you, add the green beans and quinoa and cook for 5-10 minutes) If not, continue to cook until they are the right texture.
4. Add the quinoa and green beans in the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.

Enjoy! It is very simple. You can substitute many different things in this recipe....I was going to put onions in it but I forgot. But don't worry there was so much else in it, I did not miss them! :D

Sorry, no pictures. The camera battery is dead, and I keep forgetting to charge it!

No comments:

Post a Comment