Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

One of my new favorite things...

Recently I've been told that high fructose corn syrup is bad for you. Like terrible for you. (the research right now is kind of in the middle. Some say it's bad for you, some say it isn't any worse than plain sugar...) But I decided that it probably isn't the best for me...and have been trying to limit my intake of high fructose corn syrup.

Do you know how hard that is? Have you looked at your labels lately?? Bread...has high fructose corn syrup in it (unless you buy organic or Frans, or some "healthy" brands) However even some healthy brands have high fructose corn syrup in it...
Meanwhile, I love granola bars. I really do. They are perfect for eating after work on my commute (20-45minutes depending on the time of day) home. I looked on the boxes of some of the ones I had purchased, and both of them had high fructose corn syrup in them! What a pain....I still ate them, and enjoyed them!
My verdict is that if there are nuts and dried fruit together I am in heaven. It is like so scrumptious!
A lady at work, who happens to have quite a few food sensitivities, to the point where she tries to avoid them all together, is trying to get me to eat smarter. She was disgusted in my choice of yogurt: Yoplait Light, thick and creamy. It has, yes you guessed it, high fructose corn syrup! So I have been trying all kinds of yogurt to find one I can stand. My favorite has been Tillamook Light yogurt. It has no high fructose corn syrup! Some of the yogurts I tried made me want to vomit...
I think she is making it her mission to fix me. :D Not really, but after the yogurt fiasco, she brought in a dish that I asked "what is that?" And she replied: "quinoa (kin-wa)" I stared blankly, and next time I saw her she brought me a ziploc with some quinoa in it!! (which I used in my vegetable soup recipe! And I also bought some today at the store, because it wasn't too bad!) Well she brings a Larabar to work ever so often, and I looked at the label and it said:
Ingredients: Cashews, Dates
That's it. So simple. So clean. So natural.
These suckers run pretty pricey...I bought some today for $1.79 a piece. More than I like to spend on a bar...but I thought, it will be worth it.
I tried the Cashew Cookie, and it was fabulous! Nuts and dried fruit! All I ever asked for in a bar!
I'm going to be on a look out for larabars on sale. Perhaps in bulk? I love me some granola bars...but in this case hold the granola!
It would be worth your while to try these lovely bars! They are really quite a great find! :D

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I don't know what to think about that high fructose corn syrup crap. And until I get some solid evidence I will continue to have my yummy toast every morning : )
    P.S. I thought you were gonna post a recipe for somethin somethin....I love stealing your recipes and telling Taylor "I just threw some stuff together & vola!" haha j/k I give you ALL the credit : )

    ReplyDelete