Pages

Monday, November 17, 2008

This week...

Tomorrow is my monday, I work two 12-hour shifts on the floor and then on thursday and friday I have chemo class.

**Addendum: I lied, I work one 12 hour shift, and one eight hour shift, then I have class on thursday and friday...***

On my floor, we have sarcoma patients. You might remember this from my first post. Sarcoma is a type of cancer, and can be treated with chemo, radiation, and excision. Usually a combination of treatments is used.

Since I have been on the floor for a year now, I will be going to chemo class, so that I can take care of the chemo patients on our floor. It is going to be a stressful time. But exciting as well, I get to really understand the sarcoma patients, and they are quickly becoming my favorite patients. It is draining emotionally, but since they come to us for both chemotherapy and surgical excisions, we really get to know the patients and become a sort of family. (I've thought about eventually doing pediatric oncology in the future...) Kids with cancer, is what that means.

I'll let you know how it goes...

1 comment:

  1. So I keep trying to post comments, and it is not letting me. Here I go again... Good luck with the cancer class. I admire you for wanting to work with kids with cancer. There is a boy in a nearby city who is featured in the paper off and on because he has a rare brain cancer. They gave him days to live in October, but he's still going. It would be tough to see little kids who are so sick.

    ReplyDelete