Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Strip quilt back process


Remember this?

I am super proud of my progress. I thought this quilt back might take forever to piece, but I'm nearly there. I stopped only because I had a piece of pie to eat, and because I have to work tomorrow. :D You may or may not be able to read the center text. But the fabric I bought for the back, I thought might be wide enough, and if it wasn't I was going to piece some of it together, somehow. But after doing a few calculations (very crude guesstimating: when I had the quilt top laying out on a table I placed the fabric for the back on it to see if it would work if I had the salvage end running along the top of the quilt) I realized I did not have enough. I did have, however, a lot of the fabric from the quilt top left over. So the next question I had was how to lay it out. I could do something like the quilt back shown here (scroll down to near the end of the post). Only my squares would be an equal 2 inches around to coordinate with the quilt tops equal 2" rows.

This, I decided would be a little bit more work, and as I said before, I would have to add some fabric to the sides of the bottom piece of fabric as I didn't have quite enough of the polka dot to reach from edge to edge.

So, I decided to make my life simpler. I would simply put the polka dot down the center of the back. Then I quickly decided to piece 2.5' strips of the fabric as I did on the front, then I would cut rectangles out of the fabric, and once that was done I would piece 4 of these rectangles (the 6" x 20" rectangles shown on the edges) together to make strips to go down the side of the quilt back.

This is where I stopped today. Next, all I need to do is piece the strips to either side of the salvage edge of my polka dot fabric, then trim it up. I'm thinking that I might add some bias tape to run down the seam between the strips on the edges and the center of the quilt; just to decrease clash. My mom has a bias tape maker, so I'll borrow hers to make the tape out of some of the sashing I used on the front. (Though for some reason this fabric is nowhere to be found, so I might have to buy some more from JoAnns.)

Finally, I get to quilt! :D (But to make this happen, I'll have to make a trip to Lowe's. Something I think I'll do on Sunday. :D)

But that, my friends, is something for another post. I hope this isn't too confusing. But I'm proud of my progress....

Kayleen, how is your quilt coming?

1 comment:

  1. Hey- So it's weird but I could have sworn I commented on your last post about the quilt. I guess it didn't go through? Anyway, good for you for getting working on yours! Mine has been neglected all this time, unfortunately :( I really need to do some sewing. I miss it. I still need to save up some money to buy the batting. But I am going to make a quilt for Josie so are you up for making some baby quilts after you find out the sex?!

    ReplyDelete