Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Not completely symptom free

I realize that I am one of the lucky ones. I had no problems, to speak of, during the first 14 weeks. Last Tuesday, however, that all changed. The world's worst heartburn came to stay. As I got into bed, I felt the heartburn starting. I chewed some tums, and drank water. I propped myself up with pillows to try and help the reflux from making it up my esophagus, but to no avail. I grabbed the bowl I've had sitting next to my bed, and rushed into the bathroom. When the heartburn is that bad, I have no choice but to vomit, or else stay up all night long. I have to admit, it happened to me before last Tuesday, but I figured it was more related to what I had eaten during the day. Wednesday things weren't too bad. I ate okay. I didn't get heartburn at night, so I attributed the vomiting on Tuesday as related to what I had eaten again. Thursday, I was okay during the day, and then during water aerobics, I started getting heartburn.

I stole things from my mom's house that seemed milder to my stomach, like milk and cereal, and toast. And only ate a small amount before bed. I had some heartburn when I went to bed, but it was mild, and I was able to sleep through it. Friday, I woke up with heartburn. I had to go to work, so I bought a Zantac (they only sell single pills) from the gift shop, took it, and my heartburn was gone until about dinner time. After working a 12-hour shift, I went to the store to buy some antacid reliever. I was going to get Zantac, but the Pepcid AC was cheaper, and a similar drug, so I figured I would try it instead. (Of course I bought the generic Safeway version to save even more.)

I was able to eat Mexican food without heartburn, by taking Pepcid. :D I think I've found my helper.

Today I haven't taken any. I'm going to only take it now if I begin to feel the acid coming on. (or if I plan on eating something really spicy.)

Prior to being pregnant, I've had a night of bad heartburn that ended with me vomiting, so this is not a new thing for me. It is just more frequent now. GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease) runs in my family. My dad has it, my brother has it, and I'm pretty sure I have some as well. Guess what, it's a hereditary thing. :D Woo hoo.

I still consider myself lucky, even though I was pretty miserable last week. I know it could have been way, way worse for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment