Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Denial

With dishes to get to,
      and laundry unfolded,
       the table a clutter,
      and dinner to make.


I sit on the couch,
     watching shows I recorded,
     sipping on coffee,
     and surfing the net.

Let's examine last week. I worked Wednesday through Saturday, an 8-hour shift followed by three 12-hour shifts. After working, 4 consecutive days in a row, I come home and feel like I deserve to relax. Sunday, Jamaal and I went to my parents house to spend Easter with family. Monday, I felt like I hadn't relaxed, so I did during the morning. I watched a couple of the shows I had recorded from the previous week. Then I looked at the clock, and it was 1400. My DH comes home anytime after 1730...I knew I had to get something done, so I began working on folding clothes and doing laundry.

Of course, I didn't get much done before he got home. By 1800, I had to get ready for Aquarobics and leave before 1815.

After Aquarobics, I ate some food, and sat watching TV for a hour or so, then 2230, I'm tired and ready for bed.

Tuesdays are my mom's day off, and often, I find myself doing errands with her. This particular Tuesday, my mom and I went out to lunch with a family friend. We sat and conversed for 2.5 hours. Afterwards, I went to Top Foods to buy groceries and found myself home at 1730. I didn't spend any time at home during the day.

Wednesday, I returned to work, and after working I make dinner and relax. No real chores get done.

That's my typical week.

I'm ashamed, but I truly feel overwhelmed by housework, work and couple time. Also, I hate cleaning (like a clean and organized place, but hate the actual work.)

So, I've decided I need to get a "chores list" together and stick to it.

I must do something. 

That is, however, after we return from Vegas.... 

2 comments:

  1. I can understand wanting (needing) to rest after working long shifts. Have you ever heard of the Fly Lady? I got one of the books for our wedding but I can't seem to find where I put it....you could check it out at the library if you were interested. It's kind of a house keeping philosophy/tips and ideas, etc. I think it could help you out!! It is really fun to read, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. I hate cleaning and feel quickly overwhelmed juggling it all, and I only work 32hours a week!! Plus we don't even have kids yet! I try to look at it as a blessing though that I have a house to clean and that gets me going some days. I tried the "chore" thing, lasted about 3 days. Good luck though! Is the hubby a cleaner? Why do you call him DH? Dearing husband?

    ReplyDelete