Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cheesy Bread and Chili

Yesterday I was adventurous and decided (at 4 pm) that I wanted to make bread for dinner. I wanted it to be quick, easy and tasty. And found just that in my brand new cookbook! The best part of this recipe is that it used one bowl, I used my Kitchen Aid to stir and mix the dough...it was wonderful!!


Cheddar Batter Bread (From The Taste of Home Cookbook)Ingredients:-2 c. all-purpose flour
-2 tablespoons sugar
-1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
-1/4 teaspoon onion powder*
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon pepper
-1 c. milk
-2 tablespoons butter
-1 egg
-1/2 c. cornmeal
-3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Additional cornmeal
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, onion powder, salt and pepper. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120-130*. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
2. Stir in cornmeal and remaining flour. Stir in cheese (batter will be thick). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.

3. Stir dough down. Grease a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan and sprinkle with additional cornmeal. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.

4. Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Store in refrigerator.



*Instead of onion powder (something I don't have) I used garlic powder.
____________________________________________________


This recipe also only took one dish. I really liked it, even though I didn't have most of the seasonings....it still turned out wonderfully! Since it is just Jamaal and I, I halved the recipe, and we still have plenty left over!)


Spiced Chili (From The Taste of Home Cookbook)
Ingredients:
-1-1/2 pounds ground beef
-1/2 c. chopped onion
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained*1
-2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
-2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up*2
-1 c. water
-2 bay leaves
-1/4 c. chili powder
-1 tablespoon salt
-1 tablespoon brown sugar*3
-1 tablespoon dried basil*4
-1 tablespoon Italian seasoning*4
-1 tablespoon dried thyme*4
-1 tablespoon pepper
-1 teaspoon dried oregano
-1 teaspoon dried marjoram*4
Shredded cheddar cheese, optional

(The cookbook had the preferred method as using a crock pot, but I didn't have 5 hours to make the chili, so I cooked it on the stove top, which was the "alternate" way.)


1. In a large pot or dutch oven, brown the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.


2. Add the beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, water and seasonings to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Discard bay leaves.


*1: I did not have kidney beans, so I used pinto beans, which I actually really liked! Kidney beans can be a bit tough.

*2: I used diced stewed tomatoes

*3: I forgot to add this...I had it just missed it completely. Didn't notice until I started typing this that I had forgotten it.

*4: I did not have these seasonings, I added a little bit of Johnny's Seasoning to make sure that there was enough seasoning. It tasted great. Jamaal and I both agreed. (and actually both girls ate a little of Jamaal's left overs. And they liked it too!)
__________________________________


We had this on Monday, and tomorrow (Wednesday) we will be having Chili Mac, a slight mesh between my favorite mac and cheese recipe and the chili. :D Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment