Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Biopsy Blues

Well on Friday I had my thyroid biopsy. (If you missed my previous post about this, go here.) And compared to my previous biopsy, it really was not that bad. The worst part was the anxiety leading up to the biopsy.

I made sure to talk about my previous experience (trying not to cry) to let the ultrasound technician and the doctor know how terrible it was. I feel like the MD was trying as hard as he could to make this biopsy better than my last. He made sure to tell me to swallow before he put a needle in my neck (you don't realize how much you need to swallow until you are not allowed to), and he was very comforting.

Now it is day number 3 after the biopsy and you can barely tell that I had one done! Last time I had a ridiculous bruise all over my neck complete with large itchy welts! It was terrible. I ended up going to the MD to see if it was infected, and she told me it was an allergic reaction. We treated it with some topical cortisone to decrease the itching.

With a wedding less that 30 days away, I was ridiculously scared that this biopsy would maim my neck like it did last time. Fortunately, thus far, my neck is looking just fine!

The bad part is that the MD had to stop the biopsy before he wanted to, because blood was covering the area he was trying to get to. Ultimately he could no longer see the area he wanted to biopsy, so he had to stop. He said that he was 50% sure that he got a good enough sample. That doesn't make me feel very good...he said that I might need to have another biopsy. Which, if that is the case, I will not do until after my wedding.

I'm not sure if I want to find out the results before my wedding or not. I won't be doing anything about it before my wedding anyway, and I don't want to be burdened with the thought of either having to have another biopsy, or the thought of having cancer. However, if it is nothing, that would be a huge relief.

The results take 5-7 days to get back, so I won't be able to find out until next week. Which will give me enough time to get used to the idea of having cancer, or needing another biopsy. (Of course if it is neither I'll feel great!)

2 comments:

  1. Well i'm glad this one wasn't as bad, I remember seeing your neck last time and how bruised it was. Please let me know once you have the results back, I'm here when ever you need a friend=)! I Love you!!!!

    P.S. You're bachelorette party is this weekend and we're going to have lots of drinking to do=)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also glad to hear it wasn't as bad and I hope that you don't have to have another one. Hang in there, I know waiting is hard to do.

    ReplyDelete