Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

"When are you due?"

The elderly man said to his nurse.

After she wiped the shocked look off of her face, she said "I'm not."

"Oh, so did you just have a baby then?" he calmly replied.

After looking down to examine her abdomen, and finding herself unchanged, she stated "No, I have had no children."

She paused, then continued "I do have a lot of things in my pockets though" and she shook her scrub top pockets around to emphasize her point. She did not think herself ridiculously overweight. Nor did she imagine that she looked even remotely pregnant, except perhaps if she purposefully bulged her belly out.

He responded with "You're just like me, I always have lots of stuff in my pockets."

He said nothing more on that subject, but went on to talk about something completely unrelated without a hint of remorse or embarrassment.

------------

Nothing like a blunt old man to keep you humbled at 1 am. Oh the things I endure on the job....

Every nurse I told that story to agreed with me: I do not look pregnant, nor do I look like I just had a baby...I give him the benefit of the doubt: it was dark, I did have a lot of stuff in my pockets and they were bulging out a bit, and he is 81 years old...

2 comments: