Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Lunch Date

Today I decided to treat myself to a lunch date with my toddler. It was a bit silly, now thinking back, to go to Costco at just before noon on a Saturday, but I decided the hot dog was worth it. :) Also, I had no reason to go shopping there, as I just went earlier in the week, which makes it a bit easier to wait in line, not having to worry about a cart.

But still...with a wiggly toddler you begin to worry about things like: will he scream and shout? will he become limp like a noodle and refuse to use his legs? will I be able to eat my dog in peace?

At Costco, they do not have high chairs for the wiggly ones. Just benches and tables. So, it is tricky to keep them corralled at times. But today, little Mr. Riley was on his best behavior. He walked when I asked him to, he stayed nearby, he used an appropriate toddler voice, he only once got down from the bench, but got back up when I asked him to. It was like magic. All of my fears, were for no reason at all. He was a perfect angel for me. And I was a little sad, but proud at the same time. He's growing up, and of course I want him to, but sometimes I wish we could just freeze time and live in this moment.

Another mommy, wearing an infant, and her toddler had lunch there too. But she was in charge of a cart, so had to sit on the end of the table opposite of me, by the walkway. (I chose the end next to the wall, so I had only one exit point to cover.) Her son, walked down to our end of the table, staring at Riley, chomping on his lunch. She might have known he was there, or perhaps it took her a while to react, realizing he was safe where he was. But I took the opportunity to tell Riley that he was being naughty. He needed to stay with his mommy, and listen to her. I waited to say this until the toddler was on his way back to his mom (or perhaps just back for more food). I've heard a friend say this before: it seems if someone else's child is acting naughty, your own children act a bit better, because they are embarrassed for the other child. I am just happy when it isn't my child setting the poor example. :) However, I had planned an exit strategy if my babe didn't behave. I would pack up our food and go, and eat in the car. That being said, the roving toddler I mention, wasn't being obnoxious, he was just not staying still. I'm not exactly sure why she didn't put him in the cart to eat, if for no other reason than to chain him down. But of course, it is not my place to judge, she had her reasons. And I'm sure one day it will be me with one child that won't sit, stay or listen. (actually I'm sure that has happened to be before already.) :)

Anyway, he ate pretty good too, and I wasn't expecting that either. I didn't think he would like my hot dog, so I got him some pizza, which he ate about equal amounts of both. So that meant I was able to have some pizza with my hot dog too. He saw someone with some frozen yogurt, and he was pretty excited saying "Cream! Cream!" And I told him, if we were still hungry, we would get some, but of course I was way too full after lunch for some frozen yogurt, so perhaps next time. Lucky for me, he had forgotten by the time we were leaving.

The magical lunch date ended with the following: as we were walking to our car, I hugged him and thanked him for being so good. I asked for a kiss, but had to steal one, because he didn't want to give one willingly. He giggled and wiggled, and as I was getting ready to put him in his seat, he started fighting yelling "No! No!" He did not want in the car. He flailed his arms about, which promptly met my face, and I was knocked straight back to reality. We aren't out of the tantrum phase yet. (And one could probably argue that we will never be out of that phase, at least while he is still living under our roof...) It was accidental, but I told him to be nice to mommy and settle down. And he did.

We next went to Safeway for a couple groceries, and upon arriving home, he started to scream in his car seat. He does this a lot actually and it is quite the pain. Most of the time it is while riding in the car, but sometimes he will do it when he is upset or tired at home as well. Today, I said: "Riley, why are you screaming?" And he stopped, and said "Sorry, Mommy." And that was that. I laughed and said thank you. Perhaps we are on to something here. :)

2 comments:

  1. It's great being a mommy. Even when it's hard :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you got to have a Costco date with Riley and that he was the well behaved child. It's also cute that he said "sorry, Mommy" after screaming. :)

    ReplyDelete