Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Some News

I cannot wait to post something about our news, so here it goes: We're pregnant.



Today we had an ultrasound and meet and greet with my new midwife (my old one had the nerve to move to North Carolina for her husband's schooling. RUDE! Haha.) She was really nice, observant and made me happy with my choice. She's not too preachy, and really seemed interested in my past. She had obviously read over my chart before meeting with me, and had made notes that I would need testing for Gestational Diabetes earlier (since I have a history of having it with my first pregnancy) as well as some testing of my thyroid. It was nice to see that she cared about me and did not just go with the standard protocol. So, I hope I am lucky enough to labor during the day or when she is on call.

How I'm feeling.

Nausea
This time is a bit different. (okay so after reading all of my early post from my first pregnancy, I have realized that I did have some nausea with Riley. I apparently have blacked that bit out of my memory, because I honestly thought I had absolutely NONE. However, I can tell you that it was quick to leave with the last pregnancy.) Last time, I would have a wave of nausea that would make me want to get to the bathroom, but it would pass before I would make it there. This time, I gag and dry heave periodically. It is worse when my stomach is empty. It is weird because it hits me very suddenly. And sometimes I feel some acid rise up with the gagging. It is those cases that make me worried I'm about to lose my cookies. Fortunately, my MIL received a prescription for Zofran after her foot surgery, that she never used and has given them to me. So I have been able to take a couple (only needed it twice so far) to make sure I keep my food in my belly. I really don't want to puke. I talked to my midwife about this today, and she said it was fine if I take it when necessary. Food is good to me, most of the time, but I'm pretty picky. I really am having a hard time cooking because things dont's sound good until they are made and in front of me. I've been eating out a lot, which is not good for me, I know, but when I am able to look at a menu and pick something out, I can find something that sounds palatable.

Exhaustion.
One of the very first symptoms I had was exhaustion. It is a bit tricky to be able to sleep when your toddler has other plans for you. But I've been lucky, and have napped at the same time as Riley, or he has stayed the night at his grandparents' houses for miscellaneous reasons, so I have been able to sleep in some days. It isn't as awful for me, as it was with the first pregnancy, because I am used to a certain amount of being tired. That's what kids do to a parent. ;)

Body Image.
This time I've felt ginormous already. At 9 weeks, I feel like I'm showing. Like last time, my clothes hide my belly well. But there were times where I actually thought there were two babies in there, because I felt so huge. My pants still fit though, so that is good. I'm guess it is bloating that I'm seeing. But I have not gained anything thus far. (I actually lost a couple ounces from last time I went in.) So I'm happy about that. :)

Gestational Diabetes.
It is early yet to be diagnosed with anything. But I'm sure I will end up having GD, since I was diagnosed with my first pregnancy. However, this time around I am doing things a bit differently. I'm not drinking a Frozen Coke from Burger King everyday. Haha. What can I say? I had a craving, and I impulsed on it. I am conscious of every carb I put in my body, but can I be honest? Carbs taste good. They are what I want right now. Proteins are good too, but only if they go with a really tasty carb. Like, tonight for example, I had me some chicken teriyaki and rice. It was wonderful. I made sure Riley helped a lot with the rice. And he did, he ate about half of it, but I really enjoyed my meal. I pulled out my blood sugar monitor and have been testing myself the last two days, just to see how I'm doing, and I'm in fabulous control right now. Sometimes I go as high as 112 after eating, but before eating I haven't been higher than 90. Even after having ice cream, I've had really good sugars. Anyway, I'm going to remain hopeful...and will have to test twice at least this pregnancy, once at 20 weeks (and if I pass that) again at 28 weeks when they test everyone else. Hopefully, I'll be able to control myself to keep my sugars down, but I'm not going to completely deny myself carbohydrates while I can tolerate them. I plan on checking my sugars once a month or perhaps every couple weeks, just to see where I am, but will not lose sleep over it. At least not right now. 

And of course, I am super excited about being pregnant with my best friend Jessie! It is so funny that we were able to make it happen, and I'm glad that my baby will have a friend about the same age. :)

Tomorrow I am meeting up with some friends, and two of them don't know yet. So I will post to Facebook at the end of the day. Until then. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for the updated post. Glad you have the medication now so you don't feel so bad. Yes, I'm so excited to be pregnant at the same time as you, but wish we lived closer! Carbs are very good. And I really want chicken teriyaki now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, exciting! Congrats to you both! :) Will you be doing the little development bar at the top of your blog like you've had for Riley?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im SO excited! :D This summer will be full of babies! Yay! Congrats you guys, looking forward to hearing how this pregnancy goes, and hopefully being able to snap a few of your newborn pics for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete