Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tears come in Twos

Riley woke up this morning, in a seemingly good mood. He was happy and talking this morning in his crib when I went in to get him. Nothing seemed unusual, as he handed me his Tigger, Dog, and two blankets before asking me to pick him up.

I had accidentally dropped my phone, okay so maybe someone helped me drop it. (I had set it on the front rail of Riley's crib and he touched it causing it to fall. I don't know for sure if it was intentional, and don't care either way, no harm was done to my phone.) Anyway, I went back into his room to get my phone and I wish that I had just stayed in there....from that moment on he was breaking down left and right. It was almost comical. He threw a bag of DVDs around the living room in protest. (over what I'm not sure) I considered taking a video of him mid-meltdown just to share my pain with others.

Tears flowed off and on. He was returned to his room. He was sat on the couch. He was hugged. He was kissed. He was fed. And eventually all of the DVDs were returned to the bag they were in. It was rough.

My darling boy is almost two. And he must have gotten the memo a little early. You all know what I'm talking about right? ;)

The poor kid is getting two molars in right now too, so I'm sure that is mostly what is upsetting him. Also the fact that he can't communicate his needs perfectly. I feel his frustration, so I have been trying to say what it is I think he was wanting at that moment. I hope that the more consistent I am, the sooner these tantrums will get better (or even disappear! a girl can be optimistic!). He is starting to talk a lot more these days. Most of it is gibberish, but sometimes words will surprise me.

The other day he said: "Where 'Cardi at?" (translation: where's Bacardi at? and for those of you who don't know, Bacardi is one of our dogs.) It was his first real sentence.

He keeps surprising my husband as well. Jamaal decided to tell Riley to ask Mommy for some cookies, so then Riley proceeded to say "cooookies" over and over again, in the most excited tone possible. Jamaal didn't realized Riley knew how to say "cookies" and probably didn't really think Riley would know what one was, but boy was he mistaken! I was a little upset, only because it was bedtime when the cookies were requested, so that meant Riley was up a little later than usual so he could partake in the sweets. (I could not be the one that turned down cookies, when he was so sweet to ask for them.) Although, when the cookies had to cook, Riley was a little upset that he had to wait, SO I was pretty close to sending him off to bed without. But, right now he is learning how to be patient, and sometimes that means Mommy and Daddy have to be extra patient...


2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, this post could be written about Josie. We should get them together again soon so they can have some early terrible two's moments together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how cute he looks crying...haha, sometimes their little tantrums are almost funny! (When you are in the comfort of home and they run wildly around the house and EVERYTHING makes them upset! hehe)

    And it sounds like Jamaal and Sean are alike with their cookies..watch out..it turned into an almost nightly ritual for my kids ;-)

    ReplyDelete