Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

My Little Helper

I haven't really written about my little man lately. He has really started to grow up in the last few weeks. He's talking a lot more, and is interested in what I'm doing. And does a lot of mimicking.


I had read here about a single chore they had given to their toddler: throwing away dirty diapers. I thought: "I should have Riley do that too." The first couple times, he didn't really get what I was asking him to do, but shortly (after only a day) he was anxious for me to hand him his dirty diapers so he could toss them. He usually doesn't need any coaxing, except for an occasional "here." as I remind him he has a job to do. Now, I'm pretty sure if he saw me throw his diaper away, he would get upset that I didn't let him do it. ;)


Shortly after I had started doing this with him, he went to spend the weekend with his Nana. The first day back home, he spent 30 minutes (nearly straight) lint rolling my kitchen floor. I had to call Nana (my mother in law) to see if she had been using him as free labor. She laughed and said, that he had been helping her sweep. She said he grabbed the dust pan and held it for her as she swept her dust piles into it. She said he even helped her to throw it into the garbage (with her assistance). BUT, she insisted, it was his idea. She didn't care if he helped her or not. He wanted to.


Today, as I was making dinner, he found a piece of fluff on the ground (likely from a dog's toy). I asked him to throw it away for me, and he walked right to the garbage and threw it in. After the lid was shut he clapped his hands and said "yay!" 


He goes around the house shutting doors and toilet lids and closing drawers. Sometimes it is sweet, and cute. And oh so helpful. But other times, like when mama's arm is still inside the refrigerator, it isn't. It hurts even. ;)


But maybe, just maybe, we have a tidy little mister in the making. One who enjoys cleaning and being neat. A mama can dream, right?


We use his wagon as a toy box for now, because toy storage systems are quite expensive! 

Yogurt and oatmeal for breakfast one morning. He insists on feeding himself. He will then accept a spoon from me, as long as he has one in his hands. 

Peanut butter on crackers. He sucked the peanut butter off, then crumbled the remaining crackers. I thought he was eating some of them, only to find them in his lap when I got him out of his seat. ;) What a goose!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, he is so cute. I love the yogurt and oatmeal pic..little messy faces are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete