Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

My new gadget

The other day Jamaal got a package from FedEx. This is nothing too out of the ordinary, he gets packages quite frequently. So, I set it aside, curious to know what was inside. When he got home from work that day, I was in the other room folding clothes. He came to me after about 30 minutes with a HP Touchpad (HP's version of the Ipad). I was a bit shocked. It was unexpected. I started thinking, "Is this a birthday gift, a month early? Perhaps a Valentine's Day present a little early?" I didn't really know.

Eventually he tells me that it is a gift for making it to my weight goal. That I was not expecting. I was breathless for a moment. Up until then he had made little, to no notice of my weight loss. I would tell him every week how much I had lost, and he would say something like "yay" with no real feeling or excitement behind it. He wasn't trying to be cruel, it is just the way he expresses himself. But I sometimes wanted a little more from him.

Another example. A few weeks back, I went to get Riley from my mother-in-laws. I had just gone shopping for some clothes that fit, and had a new outfit on. The next day Jamaal said to me: "My mom says you look skinny." I can't remember for sure if I called him on that comment or not. Your mom thinks I look skinny, but what do you think? Hmm?!

He has been making comments about how saggy my pants are, which I know translates to: You need clothes that fit, and ultimately that I have lost weight. But he never really went out and said he was proud of me.

But when he presented me with this gift it hit me that he had noticed. Of course I
knew
 that, but sometimes it is nice to hear the obvious.

So here I am, typing out this post using the wireless keyboard he got me to go with it. :) The only thing he didn't get me was a case for it, because he wanted me to pick it out. :)

A friend asked me today if that meant I would post some more, and maybe I will. At least I will try. But it is ever so hard for me to pull away from The Hunger Games (I bought the series for my Kindle app first thing.) But I'm sure I will finish reading it eventually. :)

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are reading the Hunger Games. Such a great series, and addicting!

    ReplyDelete