Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

7 quick takes Monday Saturday Monday Wednesday

-1-
Riley isn't gaining weight. (According to my Wii Fit Plus). I measured him last week and he lost 0.4 pounds in a week. Today (5 days later) I weighed him and he didn't gain or lose, at 11 pounds even. I'm not sure what I should do. Perhaps he will be going through a growth spurt soon, and he will gain a lot. But also perhaps not. I've decided that if next week he has lost weight, I'll call his doctor. He doesn't seem unhealthy to me. (Update: Today, a week and a half later, Riley has gained 11 ounces! Weighing in at 11 pounds, 11 ounces!)

-2-
On Sunday Jamaal and I went out alone for the first time since Riley was born. My mom watched the booger. She said he screamed for the first 45 minutes after we left. I had pumped milk available for her to feed him with, and she ended up feeding him twice with only 45 minutes between feedings. He fell asleep during the first feeding, but woke up acting hungry again. She said that it could be part of his problem with being fussy. That perhaps he isn't getting enough food. I must admit that I took offense to this. My "work" for the last 14 weeks has been feeding Mr. Riley. I have lost sleep, cried and been stressed out over it. I feel like he is my trophy, the proof that I have been hard at work. You don't go into a flower shop and tell the gardener her flowers aren't pretty. Granted, he hasn't been gaining weight, see -1- above, but it really upset me. Since then I've been working on getting my milk supply up by pumping more, especially after he feeds.

-3-
I started this post on Monday, it is now Saturday. Unfortunately I only have one more Saturday left before I have to go back to work. I'm truly not looking forward to it. I'm thinking very serious about decreasing my percentage to 50%. If I need to pick up shifts I could do so pretty easily, but my manager basically told me she can't promise to give me the shifts I need to work for childcare reasons. So, if I work less, there is less chance I'll get screwed over. 50% is only an 8-hour shift and a 12-hour shift a week. So, I could work more than that one week, and less another week, to get larger chunks of time off.

-4-
It is now Monday again. :D It is crazy how time gets away from me, but I wouldn't change a thing. It gets difficult to blog when there is a screaming baby asking for attention or to be fed. He is starting to be big enough to nurse with only the Boppy as support, so that I have both hands free while sitting down. They sell a newborn booster, which would have been extremely useful, but I didn't realize they existed until a few weeks ago. And by then he would only need it for a few more weeks-a month. So, for you small chested ladies looking to breastfeed with your first or next child, I recommend getting a newborn booster to go with your Boppy. (And if you choose not to breastfeed, or it doesn't work out, still get the Boppy, because the baby can be positioned with it.) When Riley was first born, one of the first things I had Jamaal get me (besides a box of newborn size diapers, since we received only sizes 1 and above) was the Boppy pillow. It was something I had intended on buying before the baby came, but Riley had different plans. ;)


-5-
It is now Wednesday...next time I guess I can only do a couple quick takes. 7 quick takes takes me a week and a half! ;) Riley and I have been going for walks a lot lately. We take the girls as well. He rides in the Moby wrap, and seems to enjoy the time outdoors. The first time we went out, he looked around amazed by the trees and sky. It was cute. The second time we went out, he fell asleep almost immediately. And the third time, near the end he started fussing (and it also started to rain, so we stopped early). Last Sunday was the last 5K in the 3-part series, we did it in 58:35. Which is about 5 minutes longer than our last one. I was a bit dismayed, but I had an 11 pound weight on my front, so that probably slowed me down. Also, my mom was sort of congested so she probably needed to slow down a bit as well. This upcoming Sunday Jamaal, Riley and I are doing a 5K for MS in Seattle with some friends. I hope to do a couple more this year as well. :)

-6-
Speaking of this weekend, it is my last before I return to work. (Work will be discussed in take #7.) Jamaal's friends are coming into town for the MS 5K on Sunday. We are going out to a bar close by (where we know the bartender and get discounted drinks and food) on Saturday. It will be interesting. Jamaal's mom will be staying with Riley at our house, and will stay the night. I don't plan on drinking too much, but I do plan on having a drink or two. I want to go shopping for an outfit to wear, because I have a small selection of clothes that fit me well right now.

-7-
April 7th is my first day back to work. I'm really not looking forward to it. But at the same time, I'm looking forward to it. It is a weird feeling to dread something and yet be excited about it at the same time. For the first schedule back, I'll be working only 8-hour shifts. I have asked to be decreased to 50% at work. (Which means only working 80 hours in a 4 week period.) I will sign up for extra shifts as they become available, and as they fit my childcare needs. Working an 8 hour shift and a 12 hour shift a week is really quite ideal. :D I feel like I get to have the best of both worlds: time with Riley and time with adults. Also, I know how much Riley's grandparents will enjoy spending time with him. :D I'm extremely glad we won't have to use daycare, at least not at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment