Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Desires

Day 49/50.

A few things.

I've been thinking about taking classes lately. One day, I hope to return to school for nursing, but at this moment in my life, I, one, cannot afford it, and two, cannot fathom writing papers again.

I am still paying off college, and cannot imagine taking out more loans.

The classes I've been thinking about taking are more for fun.

1. Quilting
2. Cooking
3. Photography
4. Spanish

Quilting
I am already taking some quilting classes, one will be continued this week on Thursday, and another will be on March 14th, which is a table runner class.

I really am excited to quilt/sew. Though I don't think I really have any ambition to sew clothing. Since I have an embroidery machine, I have ambition to embroider, but not to actually piece together an outfit. Perhaps this will change in time. Perhaps a mini-me, might persuade me to sew a beautiful dress or Halloween costume. But at this time in my life, I feel it is simply easier to buy said dresses. Why, do I feel it is easier/better to quilt or sew my own quilts, table runners etc? I do not know. It makes absolutely no sense to me either. ;D

Cooking
I would love to take some cooking classes to learn some new techniques/recipes, and I think it is uber romantic to take said classes with someone you love. However, I do not think that my DH would ever take a cooking class with me. It (cooking) is not something he enjoys doing. He doesn't care what he eats. A bag of chips is okay in his book. Sandwiches everyday, that's fine. He likes most of the food I make, and I think is grateful that I make it, but if I didn't he would be fine with that too.

Growing up, my family had home cooked meals. We sat around the table, prayed before every dinner, and ate together. We asked "may I be excused" when we were done with dinner, and if we had successfully made a dent in our meal we would be allowed to scrape our plate and wash our hands. I have fond memories of dinnertime. It was family time. Every Saturday night, my extended family would have dinner at my Grandparent's house, the cousins and I would play, and then eat together, sometimes outside if it was nice out.

So for me, food is very comforting and reminds me of family, love, and friendship. But DH does not share these thoughts on food. If I spend all day cooking something special, he does not understand why I have done it. To him, food is simply a necessity. For me, sharing a meal is an extension of my love, and a way to bond and grow as a family. He knows how I feel about dinner time, and that once we have children things will be changing in our house. Currently we eat every dinner in front of the TV. This will not be okay for my children. I fought for a while to eat dinner at the table, but eventually he won, and we have the horrible habit of eating in front of the TV. I'm not proud of this. I'm terribly ashamed actually...

Photography
I want to learn some photography techniques so that I can take beautiful pictures of my crafty projects. Also, I am mesmerized by the talent of people who take abstract photographs that are beautiful enough to be framed and exhibited.

I hate posting photos of my cards or other projects when I feel that the photo doesn't capture the essence of my work. I want to be proud of my craft both online and in life.

Spanish
A language that I did well with in high school, and one that I encounter the most at work, has always been something I wanted to be fluent in, well since I started classes. I had to choose between choir and Spanish senior year of high school, and in order to be in the musical, I had to go with choir. My Spanish teacher was very upset with me for not continuing, as she knew that I grasped it well, and enjoyed the language. After that, I never went back. I wished I took some Spanish in college, but since my schedule was jam packed with multiple sciences pretty much every semester, I didn't have time for the studying involved with a second language.

I find myself understanding most of what my Spanish speaking patient's say. And one particular Spanish interpreter, can tell that my grasp of the language is pretty good for only having 2 years of high school Spanish under my belt. Patient's have told me that my pronunciation is pretty good as well, though sometimes they have to correct me as I once said something about a "bull", instead of whatever it was I was trying to say. ;) It would be incredibly helpful if I could speak with my Spanish speaking patients, at least at an elementary level if nothing else, so that I could determine their needs without an interpreter present. 


What fun classes, if any, would you like to take??

2 comments:

  1. Aubri - you've always been so intelligent and good in school so I can see how you would want to continue your education throughout your life.

    Umm..if I could take any classes I think I might want to do an art class, like drawing or painting, and a cake decorating class. I used to take art in jr. high and I really loved it but I didn't do much follow up after that. It would be neat to learn some techniques and just practice sketching.
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too would love to take photography, cooking, more Spanish, not the quilting yet, but I pretty much want to take all the same classes as you! Also, the cake decorating class would be fun. I would like to take some sort of aerobics class also. I'm jealous that you get to take a quilting class, enjoy it!

    I agree, Spanish would be great for your profession and just in general since there are a lot of people who speak Spanish and being bilingual would be an asset.

    ReplyDelete