Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

14 weeks

This photo was taken 14 weeks and 1 day. :) (added after posting...)
On Thursday I had an appointment with my midwife. It wasn't anything too exciting. Just a physical exam, ahem, of my lady parts. It is always a bit uncomfortable, but I really like my midwife so it wasn't so bad. She is going to be perfect for me and Jamaal. I had remembered her telling me at my last appointment that I would need to do a 1 hour glucose tolerance test at this appointment. But I wasn't 100% sure. So I had a bar with only 9 carbohydrates and some water as I was leaving in the morning.

Turns out I had the opportunity to take the lab slip and do it at my convenience, but I decided to get it over with. Since I had prepared myself, and had a babysitter for the booger. I chose fruit punch this time and it really wasn't that bad. Though I did get terrible heartburn. I took zofran beforehand, but didn't even think about heartburn. Next time I'll remember. ;)

Since I have issues with my thyroid she also wanted the lab to draw my thyroid levels. Just to be sure all was fine. The person who drew my blood used a very large needle and it really really hurt. I was a bit annoyed. It hurt the rest of the day, and that has never happened to me before. He could have used a smaller needle.

I celebrated with some sushi followed by a trip to Costco afterwards. :) It was lovely.

Friday afternoon I got a phone call from my midwife I passed the glucose test. Very exciting. Of course I will have to repeat the test again later on, but I'm glad to know I can eat some carbs right now. Unfortunately it wasn't all good news. My TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) was low. It was 0.24 and the normal range starts at 0.45. So it is quite a bit low. But the nurse that filled out my requisition did not check the box to also check the T3 and T4 levels. These are the free hormones, the TSH stimulates their release. So, in theory, a person could have low TSH but still have adequate hormones  However, we will have to have a redraw to make sure the levels are okay. Otherwise I will have to take some thyroid medication. (And that means some more testing of my levels I'm sure.) So fingers crossed they are normal. I've never had a problem with my levels before. At least that I remember. I feel like my TSH was on the low side with Riley, but we didn't need to do anything. We'll see. I'll go get my levels drawn next week. She said she would call me with the results once she had them.

I've decided to be more active. Because I have been gaining weight a bit too fast for my taste. I only want to gain 25 pounds total and I've already gained 8. Blech. I really wish food wasn't so good!

In other news I got a phone call last night from the fraud department at my credit union. Someone had stolen my card (or card number) and had made purchases on my behalf. I still had my card (it is now shredded) so it leads me to believe they had stolen my information from some online account. I'm really annoyed that people do this. I feel violated. But I'm glad my credit union has a fraud division, and they realized it wasn't me. They were able to charge $1400 to my debit card. $1000 at Macy's and $400 at Victoria Secret. They apparently attempted a few other places like Best Buy but were declined. They have a $2000 limit (or is it $2500?) set on our debit card purchases per day so that is probably why it was declined. And also why the fraud division was alerted. So on Tuesday after work I will have to stop by my credit union to get it all straightened out. And to get a new debit card. I'm a little sad, because I have had the same pin for the life of my debit account and should probably change it now. I have no idea how they were able to use my card without physically having it. Because it appears it wasn't an online purchase. Who knows. It will all work itself out in the end.

2 comments:

  1. yay! I'm so glad to hear you passed your first glucose test. :)

    That is so lame about your Debit. I'm confused, too. I wonder if they also got denied at Best Buy because they are better about checking ID there? I don't get people, either. :(

    When will you have to get another glucose test? And are you guys finding out the gender in a couple of weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to believe they were online purchases, because I have my original card. It would freak me out even more to know they were able to counterfeit a card and use it in person...

    I think at the usual time is when I will have another test. Anywhere from 26-28 weeks. But I'm not sure.

    The scheduled gender ultrasound is on March 28th. :)

    ReplyDelete