Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Happy Anniversary

7 years ago today Jamaal and I were sitting on his couch in his apartment watching Shark Tale. We were at an awkward place in our relationship. We had started talking in emails back and forth while I was at school across the state. Then I came home for the summer. We hung out everyday (after I was healed from having my tonsils removed) from about May 15th on.

I got an email from him around June 3rd (or so) that basically said: I like you a lot, I want to be more than friends, but I'm not sure what you want.

It was a very tricky time. We both felt the same, but didn't know how to move past being friends.

So there we are on his couch, he had his arm around my shoulders, my head resting on his chest. Completely comfortable, and yet oh so awkward. The ending credits began to roll and there we sat, both of us afraid to move. Unsure of what to do. I wanted him to kiss me, he wanted to kiss me. But he was in a position where he would have to really jostle me in order to be able to find my lips.

After nearly watching all of the credits...seriously folks it was so awkward, I finally decided that it just had to be done. We had to break that tense line. And I kissed him first.

We still laugh a little about that. And Shark Tale holds a special place in our hearts.

7 years later, I am married to my best friend. We had our first kiss as boyfriend and girlfriend on the same day as our first kiss as husband and wife (albeit 4 years later).

Happy Anniversary Babe. I love you!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary!!! Gotta love awkwardness! Enjoy your special day.

    ReplyDelete